In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1maleficio masculineto put a hex on sb — hacerle un maleficio a algn
- to put a hex on sth — echar una maldición sobre algo
- So when someone has a voodoo hex put on him, everyone knows he's a goner, and they withhold food from him - why waste a limited resource?
- A story in this regard involves the alleged hex of a New Orleans businessman, J. B. Langrast, in the 1850s.
- Brandi is a 15-year old Oklahoma high school student who was accused - by two adults - of being a witch, and casting spells / hexes that resulted in a teacher's illness.
- There's something about winning the Venice Golden Lion that seems to put a hex on film-makers.
- I just hope my talisman protects me from any hex you may cast upon my unwilling head.
- Similarly, it is easier to introduce a hex, curse, cold, whatever, than it is to heal it, stop it, etc.
- Riefenstahl has endured all manner of hexes and accidents - most recently a helicopter crash two years ago in Sudan - yet she keeps working and playing.
- He allegedly paid a witch doctor $150,000 in 2000 to put a hex on several Hollywood figures.
- In his professions, he claimed the Blair Witch had placed a hex on him, forcing him to commit the murders.
- He began his quest for revenge by forking over $150,000 to a witch doctor named Baba, who put a hex on the Hollywood bigs three years ago in Switzerland.
- They throw curses and hexes around without a second thought.
- After an awkward introduction to the world of spell casting, Sabrina starts to get the hang of hexes and curses.
- Pete claims they can put a curse on you similar to the curses or hexes described by voodoo, witchcraft, or a good mummy story.
- He said some symptoms of hexes included prolonged insomnia, frequent nightmares and suddenly waking up, anxiety, sweating during the day and night, and frightening hallucinations.
- In the latter game, the Dodgers finally ended a World series hex the Yankees held over them after losing to them in 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952 and 1953.
- I've always been interested in curses, hexes, and the like, and would be excited to discover that I have this capability, though of course it would also amount to a considerable responsibility.
1(person) hacerle un maleficio athis project must have been hexed — debe haber caído una maldición sobre este proyecto
- We have to worry about people thinking we will curse them or even hex them.
- All right, first of all, I've been reading your columns and you're strangely optimistic this year and that in and of itself can hex the Red Sox as we know.
- That didn't stop the deal, but Rogel, 61, could be forgiven for thinking he has been hexed.
- John, a decent but superstitious man, offers lodging, but hides the coins, believing them to be hexed.
- And for those who have not walked the craft path, just a reminder: we do not worship or believe in the DEVIL and we do not go around hexing people - unless they severely deserve it.
- This happened in real life in Tulsa, Okla., where administrators at Union Intermediate High School accuse Brandi, 15, of hexing a teacher.
- I'm not sure I should mention it now for fear of hexing it last minute, but we finally move into our office on Tuesday.
- In 1997, I met Priestess Miriam, a voodoo princess who taught me how to hex folks: Write the evildoer's name nine times and insert the paper into the mouth of a snake.
- His daily rituals were such that a scoreboard operator in Toronto tried to hex him one time by flipping the stadium clock directly from 7: 16 to 7: 18.
- If anyone is offended they are welcome to hex me.
- In those circumstances, the Dane must have felt his team were hexed when Nicolas Fabiano pulled up with a groin problem.
- Rodrigo is one of the few players unfit at a club that in recent seasons appeared hexed by injury crises.
- Firstly, what makes you think that she has been hexed, rather than just having a round of really bad luck?
- Remember the time when he tried to hex Ron and Professor McGonagall had to send him to see the headmaster?
- NICOLE KIDMAN fears she hexed her marriage to TOM CRUISE by marrying in a wedding dress she bought before she knew him.
- You'd better watch out, it looks like that mean one's going to hex you soon.
- Right now I'm wondering if any copies exist that aren't somehow hexed.
- Good God, had someone hexed the girl or something?
- They thought she had the evil eye, they thought she was hexing their cows.
- While providing a full set of features for editing raw hex bytes, FlexHEX also supports editing binary data as typed values in a number of formats.
- To accomplish this, just substitute 0xc0a8090a in the filter code with the IP address of your choice in hex notation.
- After that, write down the hex codes for your colors.
- The next three bytes store the hex value 000001, which denotes a first-generation CPPM system, and are followed by a series of encrypted 8-byte Key Data values.
- Then behind the scenes, the colours in the photo are completely averaged out, creating a representation of your colour that can be given a hex value.
2US(hexagonal)hexagonala hex-head bolt — un tornillo de cabeza hexagonal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.