1(calling attention)¡eh!hey, mister! can you tell us the time, please? — ¡eh / oiga, señor! ¿nos puede decir la hora por favor?
- So your kids might grow up a little cautious but, hey, is that so bad?
- Hey, it's my birthday weekend. I can have whatever I want.
- Hey Megan, come here and read this.
- So we wrote these songs to say, hey, it's cool to be different, and don't be like the squares!
- And if two people love each other and really believe they can be partners for life hey, good luck to 'em.
- Hey! You! Come and help me!
- It's at this time of the year that I like to say to myself, hey! let's forget about the mistakes of the past year - and instead look forward with excitement to the year ahead.
- Hey, that reminds me. I don't think we had any calls all day.
- Hey, get your hand off me!
- I read about all the interest and I think, hey fantastic, but nobody calls me.
2(expressing dismay, protest, indignation)¡oye!hey, that's enough! — ¡oye (or oigan etc.) basta ya!
- (expressing surprise, appreciation) I've got a job — hey, that's really great! — conseguí trabajo — ¡pero qué bien!
- I live near the university — hey, we're neighbors! — vivo cerca de la universidad — ¡pues mira, somos vecinos!