In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(face/monster/sight/grin) horroroso(grin/face/monster/sight) horrible
- His best comments were not reserved for the performers, but for that hideous shrieking female host.
- Are you wearing those hideous glasses to hide your dilated pupils or something?
- She described a hideous humpbacked creature with stumpy horns, and bristles down the back of a long neck.
- The façade is a hideous green, possibly painted two decades ago and impossibly free of graffiti.
- The hideous scar on his back is a testimony to the violence that was inflicted upon him by the police when he was just a helpless baby.
- Another bugbear of childbearing is the pregnancy bra - a hideous garment.
- It is a still a point of hot debate with skiers as to whether Les Arcs is a work of architectural genius, or simply a hideous alpine eyesore.
- What this month is all about is a bit of fun to raise some money for a worthy charity while looking hideous for an entire month.
- I wear a hideous uniform during my working days, so outside that time, I'm relaxed.
- As well as animal forms, demons can have other grotesque and hideous forms.
- Thankfully all photographic evidence of our tour of the Loire Valley has been destroyed, so no one will ever be able to confirm how truly hideous my outfit was.
- The characters are either utterly hideous or desperately beautiful.
- She was wearing a hideous brown dress, complete with mules and a patent black belt.
- The replacement number 9 buses are hideous - nasty boxy double deckers with zero character.
- Holden Road was sold for 30 grand to a property developer who tore it down and a hideous development stands on the site.
- If you decide that your girlfriend was right and you are rather hideous then don't despair.
- Whereas his earlier paintings portrayed women as hideous, gargoyle-like creatures, there was a distinct progression and a definite softening in his outlook.
- They are hideous examples of concrete brutalism, dilapidated and badly-run and best demolished.
- Sure I ain't gonna win any beauty contests, but I am not the hideous, scary freak I had been hiding from.
- She is not a hideous woman but you would think he was marrying a horse by the cruel way the media treat her.
- Being caught in the middle of someone else's family argument is hideous and embarrassing.
- A human life has ended through one of the most hideous execution methods ever devised.
- I nearly stayed in, but the thought of the Scottish TV Hogmanay special was just too hideous to contemplate.
- It simply discloses a new and hideous fact about the world order.
- I have a dear friend, who went through a hideous divorce after a very messy marriage.
- During a secret speech in February 1956 (which was almost immediately leaked to the Western media) he condemned the policies of the hitherto much admired Stalin and accused him of hideous crimes.
- She stuck her arms up into the air and laughed a hideous, horrible laugh.
- The best thing about this withdrawal is that my first was so hideous that this seems like a walk in the park.
- It was a dignified response in the face of hideous provocation.
- To make things worse we had the hideous spectacle of a peace campaigner being held under the Prevention of Terrorism Act.
- The hideous hangovers and post booze blues mean that the older I get the less I drink which is probably for the best for all concerned.
- I was sleeping in a tent, and woke up at 5 in the morning feeling hideous.
- His passengers had to suffer a hideous rollercoaster ride as the car hit the kerb or mounted the pavement at breathtaking speed.
- We will continue to utilise all our expertise and resources to ensure that the culprits responsible for this hideous crime are brought to book.
- As in so many American plays, the past haunts the present and contains a hideous secret that is known but never acknowledged.
- Doesn't it smack of the most hideous hypocrisy and moral weakness?
- Cielle was awoken by the most hideous sound she had ever heard in her life.
- To this day, I still feel appalled that there are people who have such hideous and dark sides to them.
- We have to rely on the federal senate to block this hideous sick piece of legislation, otherwise we are sunk.
- What happened today was a hideous crime. It was incredibly well organised and highly co-ordinated.
3(furniture/color/clothes) horrendo(color/furniture/clothes) espantosoyou look perfectly hideous in that dress — ese vestido te queda horrendo / espantoso
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.