In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The islands of the Caribbean are filled with significant historical sites, from old forts to pirate hideouts.
- The islanders said they had survived Cyclone Zoe by fleeing to mountain hideouts along paths their ancestors had used for centuries during cyclones.
- He used his freedom of movement to steal and smuggle Jewish secular and religious texts to safe hideouts, where some of them were to survive the war.
- Shortly after dawn on September 10, five military helicopters swooped on the remote jungle hideout.
- A secretive millionaire Rangers fan has bought a castle, once used as a hideout by Rob Roy MacGregor, to be closer to his beloved Ibrox Park.
- Despite superior numbers and firepower, Russian troops have been unable to uproot the rebels from their mountainous hideouts.
- With its maze of undulating ravines and dense forests, the Chambal Valley has provided perfect cover for the hideouts of numerous dacoit gangs for decades.
- The capture came at 5.30 pm GMT last night, after US forces received intelligence on two possible hideouts in the town.
- Security forces recovered a huge quantity of arms and ammunitions from different hideouts raided during the last 24 hours.
- One reason that no one ever discovered their hideout was because no one ever dared to stray too far into the forest.
- The crunch of the leaves told them that their hideout would soon be discovered.
- The pair then went on the run and were only discovered at a hideout in Leeds following a nationwide manhunt after the killing.
- He retreated to his hideouts in the mountains of Tajikistan, taking his men and their weapons with him.
- As the news of the victory spread across the country, villagers left their mountain hideouts and joined his righteous army, which grew into a force of 2,000 people.
- Most of the men in the village had also sought protection from the guerrillas, whose hideouts were located in several hilly areas nearby.
- It is rugged country, mostly mountainous, with hundreds of caves and hideouts.
- The rebels' hideouts are based in northern Uganda and in southern Sudan.
- Russian news agencies said the gunships pounded guerrilla hideouts in the region's mountainous south, killing at least a dozen people.
- Although most of the hostages were released unharmed in exchange for the rebels' safe passage to their hideouts, this act of terrorism cannot be condoned.
- The police teams have in the past few days carried out extensive searches and raids on possible hideouts of the accused.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.