In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Not an end in itself, domestic violence is a means of enforcing gender roles in society and maintaining a hierarchy in which men remain in control.
- Both of these were indications that he was now reaching the upper echelons of the Nazi hierarchy.
- Boys, on the other hand, tend to have more hierarchically organized groups than girls, and status in the hierarchy is paramount.
- As families assimilated, the traditional hierarchies flattened, giving women and children a greater voice in their households.
- It was important that the traditional hierarchy remained intact and that the nobility did not get the impression that they and their old estates were exposed to an attack by the middle class.
- At the bottom of this hierarchy was the vast Third Estate which basically meant everybody else, or about 25 million people.
- The authority of the father was absolute, as the head of a hierarchy arranged by generation, age and sex, in which every member of the extended family was related in rank to every other.
- The most intriguing part of the film is the hierarchy of a household where the upper classes live upstairs and the servants downstairs.
- The most important thing in the election of the chairman was not professional competence in the field, but activity within the Party and a sufficiently high status in the political hierarchy.
- One problem with our democracy is that a rigid class and caste hierarchy coupled with gross gender inequality has kept large sections of our population traditionally without a voice.
- He sought retreat in a feudal world of deference, aristocracy and hierarchy.
- Degrees of difference within the caste hierarchy were also marked by forms of address, seating arrangements, and other practices of deference and superiority.
- Almost in passing, his observation revealed how in modern Britain, despite the demolition of some old hierarchies and snobberies, status still rules.
- As expected, the results show a clear-cut hierarchy with the upper class on the top rung of the ladder and the unskilled laborers on the bottom rung.
- Who holds the lowest rank in the well-defined hierarchy of film production: the production assistant or the extra?
- The take not used, the part not won, consigned him to a profitable but frustrating secondary status in the Hollywood hierarchy.
- For far too long in this country we've had institutions that have been bound by class, by hierarchy.
- On the other hand, family income and education, which may reflect rank in the social hierarchy, are strongly related to health.
- As a republican, I hate rigid social hierarchy.
- Within the hierarchy of the Ethiopian Church, a special role is played by the deacon, or Dabtara.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.