In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1de alto octanaje
- That is why high-performance cars generally need high-octane gasoline - their engines are using higher compression ratios to get more power.
- The AA says if you do that to a vehicle designed to run on high-octane petrol, the engine ‘would seize’.
- There is a region in south Philadelphia where the underground water is known to be polluted with high-octane gasoline.
- A petrol tank containing high-octane fuel is beside your seat.
- The 100 cc motor is worth $3000 on its own and the kart runs on high-octane fuel, which costs about $4.80 per litre.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.