In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Within months I was embroiled in a high-profile boardroom battle.
- It would seem that he's the most high-profile casualty of the local election debacle.
- It will take place in private, but keeping the result secret in such a high-profile case will be difficult.
- Of course, there have been some high-profile policies which have not come off.
- The idea has high-profile backers from across the industry, but not everyone agrees with Archer.
- Four people have been arrested as part of a high-profile crackdown on burglary in Burnley.
- The findings led to calls for more funding for training to avoid repeats of high-profile police mistakes.
- The competence of surgeons has already been questioned following a series of high-profile cases.
- This was, in short, a high-profile case involving a hugely popular figure who did nothing very wrong.
- It followed a series of high-profile cases where the accused was later not charged or found not guilty.
- Individuals in high-profile positions always run the risk of being targeted in this way.
- Many high-profile public health campaigns seem to be less about making us better than about making us good.
- She is far from being the first high-profile MP to have been caught speeding.
- It is the turbulent couple's second high-profile falling out within a week.
- Yet his return to high-profile politics has brought renewed scrutiny of his business career.
- He is planning to enlist the support of high-profile public figures to campaign against the policy.
- This was a high-profile public event, which would obviously attract media attention.
- Police are warning the public and high-profile figures to be wary of suspicious mail.
- The high-profile cases are well known but there are hundreds of other people affected.
- He also appears to have lost the support of some of his most high-profile celebrity friends.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.