In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1torre (de apartamentos) femininetorre (de pisos) feminine Spain
1(building/block) alto(block/building) de muchas plantas(apartment) de una torre(apartment) de un edificio alto
- Several high-rise office buildings near the embassy were heavily damaged.
- All this prosperity manifests itself in the city's swish downtown area, with its glittering high-rise office buildings and hotels.
- Montevideo is a modern city, with high-rise apartments and office buildings.
- Luxury high-rise apartment buildings and large houses have all the amenities one would expect in the United States.
- Wood has given way to cement as the main building material, and new forms of architecture include high-rise buildings for offices and residences, and air-conditioned shopping malls.
- Until around the turn of the 21st century, high-rise buildings were quite rare in Vienna.
- Over time, the city spread out; its central business district became dense with high-rise office and residential buildings and an excellent infrastructure developed.
- They contrast with the often impeccably maintained town centres and are largely made up of high-rise tower blocks that are lacking in amenities, especially for the youth.
- Architectural styles range from ornate, nineteenth-century villas to modern, high-rise apartment buildings.
- On Malaysia's west coast, thousands of residents fled high-rise apartment buildings and hotels.
- Not surprisingly, the vast majority of the population here lives in single-family detached housing; relatively few people are in high-rise apartment buildings or condos.
- Most South Koreans in urban areas live in high-rise, multistory dwellings.
- The housing project included the construction of a massive shopping center, an international school and high-rise office buildings, an apartment, a five star hotel and international class hospital.
- We hopped into my car, and she directed me downtown to the Belvedere, an old high-rise office building that had been converted into cheap apartments.
- In contrast to the rest of the country, hotels, offices, villas and high-rise apartment buildings are going up at a frenzied pace.
- This more northerly part of the area is in contrast to the mass tourism-dominated southern end of the Costa Brava, with its high-rise tower blocks and packed beaches.
- It's in the grand tradition of big cities that there are little delis, cafés or coffee shops on the main floor of high-rise apartment buildings.
- All four sites have since been developed and are now occupied by high-rise office buildings.
- During the past few months the problems and incidents when answering call-outs at high-rise tower blocks have escalated, they added.
- Instead of cosy, low-rent substitute houses in old neighbourhoods, there were high-rise apartment buildings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.