In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1de alta seguridad
- The high-security system is aimed at reducing opportunities for fraud, but criminals are believed to have been trying to steal the cards before they reach customers.
- A York aircraft enthusiast detained by Greek authorities faces possible transfer to a violent and overcrowded high-security jail, it emerged today.
- Lord Archer yesterday arrived at a prison in rural Norfolk after spending three weeks in a tough high-security jail, the Prison Service said.
- Smith, who has been diagnosed as suffering from a psychopathic condition, will spend the next three months at the high-security hospital while his mental health is examined.
- After spending five months in a high-security jail, on Tuesday he was released on bail.
- Dozens of lethal weapons have disappeared from Britain's high-security military bases and found their way on to the streets, it has emerged.
- The Sunday Times has discovered that almost 100 unsupervised home visits by patients at the high-security institution have been approved in the past three years.
- The men were not detained in Scotland's specialist high-security police cells at Govan police station but taken back to Aberdeen.
- Now staff are taking back their schools for their pupils, introducing high-security fencing and security guards.
- Most will have committed serious offences, some coming from high-security hospitals and others from prisons and other medium-secure services.
- He said there were no plans for the double murderer to be moved from the high-security Yorkshire prison.
- A police investigation is underway after an inmate at a high-security Yorkshire jail was taken hostage and stabbed by two other prisoners.
- She was caught trying to smuggle 50 grams of heroin, hidden in her underwear, into Whitemoor high-security prison, Cambridgeshire.
- He has been held at a high-security mental hospital in Nottinghamshire where he is currently undergoing assessment to ascertain whether or not he is mentally fit to stand trial.
- A South Essex psychiatric hospital is to get 12 extra beds for patients who have been treated at high-security institutions like Broadmoor.
- She thinks the number of beds should be slashed to cut down on the number of people sent to high-security wards.
- The two men await trial in the high-security section of Goulburn jail.
- Held in a high-security jail, he has not responded publicly to his arrest.
- A number of ‘serious systems failures’ at a high-security jail led to his suicide bid, it was revealed yesterday.
- However, he believes he will soon be transferred to a high-security establishment, either a prison or back to a secure hospital like Rampton or Ashworth.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.