In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(gambler)jugador empedernido masculinejugadora empedernida feminine
- The only thing most people know about the most famous course in Las Vegas, Shadow Creek, is that the high rollers play there for free.
- Don't pull out your wallet unless you're a high roller: Minimum investment is $100,000.
- A real T-shirt-and-jeans kind of guy, he certainly doesn't look like a high roller, but American Express Co. knows better.
- Sure, he still felt like a high roller every time he got a direct deposit on his nearly $75,000 salary - double what his buddies in his native Salt Lake City make.
- He was not a high roller, but he enjoyed fine things.
- Plush, opulent and somewhat decadent, it used to be a popular hang-out of the city's hip gay crowd; now it caters to high rollers and moneyed movers of all persuasions.
- I admit, I'm no high roller and the most gambling I've ever done is low stakes poker with friends, but I am completely baffled by the overwhelming popularity of Internet gambling.
- She knew soon Jose Marcel would come down to the pit and check in with his dealers and meet the high rollers.
- Think casino gambling and you think high rollers playing high-stakes games, dropping thousands of dollars a night.
- After all, hedge funds had long been seen as the province of the financial world's high rollers.
- For Miami's high rollers, looks and money will get you everywhere.
- If you're feeling lucky, and are ready for a bit of casino action, try a night out with the high rollers at one of our sophisticated gambling spots.
- Named after the Tipperary stud farm they own, it refers to a group of immensely rich Irish high rollers who are gamblers by nature, trade and inclination.
- But more than that it confirmed the deep public suspicion that politics is a rotten business and politicians are eternally on the take to the corporate and big union high rollers.
- State regulators on July 10 approved the MGM Grand Hotel Casino's application for Nevada's first private gambling salon for high rollers.
- Mr Quinlan, whose backers are mainly Irish high rollers, has approached the investment bank NM Rothschild.
- But often, these expensive products end up sitting on the shelf, gathering dust, waiting for the high roller to walk in the door.
- And then there are the high rollers, representing chambers of commerce, big business, the healthcare, banking, and insurance industries.
- The VIP room will be monitored by tuxedo-clad security personnel and will offer high rollers a private hors d' oeuvre buffet.
- They were both high rollers, spread money around lavishly and had female hangers on wherever they went.
2(big spender)derrochón masculinederrochona feminineshe's a high roller — gasta dinero como si fuera agua informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.