In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1comparative of high
- The old O-grade exam was seen as being too academic and of little relevance, unless the student planned to continue with Highers and then university education.
- It's also the next step in your education after A2s, AS Levels, Scottish Highers or other advanced level qualifications.
- The school is one of the 10% in Scotland which offer English A levels rather than Highers and there is a growing interest in this option.
- Jemma is 17 and is studying for her Highers in Aberdeen.
- Children at the school worked towards Scottish Highers, but the subjects on offer depended on the staff the school could recruit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.