In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1danza folklórica escocesa
- The men donned kilts, while the women joined in reels and Highland flings.
- Competitors danced the Highland fling, the sword dance, the Highland reel, the sailor's hornpipe, the Irish Jig and other dances, preferably to the music of the bagpipe.
- At one point they do a Gay Gordons and then a sort of Highland fling.
- Other numbers featured the Highland fling, a lively Scottish folk dance complete with bagpipes, but combined with elements of ballroom dance, modern dance and even disco, with the troupe members decked out in various glitzy costumes.
- I have wanted to come since I was 10 years old and I had a Scottish nanny called Janet Stewart who taught me how to do the Highland fling.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.