In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine carretera(patrol/patrolman) de carretera UShighway maintenance — mantenimiento de carreteras masculine
- It is invisible to eyes looking at road signs along major highways.
- All were ambushed on major highways regularly traveled by journalists.
- From my window I can see huge highways crisscrossing the city.
- Twisty, scenic highways and photographable little towns are what I'm looking for.
- The strikers staged a sit-down demonstration on Katchery Road, one of the city's main highways.
- The government has blocked off a major highway for street markets, concerts and plays.
- To get there, head towards Gyeongju on the main highway out of town and just follow the signs.
- The infrastructure is lacking: after one year of decent growth traffic has come to a standstill in larger cities and on major highways.
- It can be reached by highways from the major cities in Guangdong, Guangxi, and Hunan.
- It should be installed on the streets of every major town and city and along all the major roads and highways.
- At one point, all major highways into the Maryland city were blocked.
- I nodded once and looked back out the window as he pulled off the main highway onto a side road.
- What follows can best be described as an ambling but focused trip down U.S. highways and town streets.
- No civilians were allowed on the newly closed main highways outside of town.
- On the trip over, I see the bicycle-only highways between Dutch cities, and the canals that run parallel.
- Subsequent ice jams threaten bridges and can close major highways.
- A visit to a reconstructed fur trade post usually takes today's visitor off frequently traveled major highways.
- Most of the main roads and highways in the city are high enough to have escaped the flooding.
- While some workers occupied the factory, others blocked one of the town's major highways.
- The main campus is located within the boundaries of an urban area and is easily accessible by two major highways.
2(public way)vía pública femininethe King's highway — la calzada real
- the highways and byways — (of subject) los senderos y vericuetos
- County highways officials are considering an alternative solution to Tewkesbury town centre's traffic problems.
- In agreement with highways officials, our engineers will wind up the major part of work in the area on Friday.
- But highways officials now say the 14th century bridge will be ready to reopen in less than six weeks.
- Councillors from Horwich and Blackrod met with highways officials yesterday in an attempt to find a solution to traffic problems in Crown Lane, Horwich.
- The planning sub-committee deferred making a decision until it received more information from the county council on highways issues.
- But campaigners were dealt a bitter blow when county highways officials confirmed that Government funding would not be available for the bypass.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.