In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine carretera(patrolman/patrol) de carretera UShighway maintenance — mantenimiento de carreteras masculine
- All were ambushed on major highways regularly traveled by journalists.
- At one point, all major highways into the Maryland city were blocked.
- Subsequent ice jams threaten bridges and can close major highways.
- Twisty, scenic highways and photographable little towns are what I'm looking for.
- It is invisible to eyes looking at road signs along major highways.
- I nodded once and looked back out the window as he pulled off the main highway onto a side road.
- Most of the main roads and highways in the city are high enough to have escaped the flooding.
- A visit to a reconstructed fur trade post usually takes today's visitor off frequently traveled major highways.
- No civilians were allowed on the newly closed main highways outside of town.
- What follows can best be described as an ambling but focused trip down U.S. highways and town streets.
- While some workers occupied the factory, others blocked one of the town's major highways.
- It should be installed on the streets of every major town and city and along all the major roads and highways.
- From my window I can see huge highways crisscrossing the city.
- The government has blocked off a major highway for street markets, concerts and plays.
- It can be reached by highways from the major cities in Guangdong, Guangxi, and Hunan.
- The infrastructure is lacking: after one year of decent growth traffic has come to a standstill in larger cities and on major highways.
- To get there, head towards Gyeongju on the main highway out of town and just follow the signs.
- On the trip over, I see the bicycle-only highways between Dutch cities, and the canals that run parallel.
- The strikers staged a sit-down demonstration on Katchery Road, one of the city's main highways.
- The main campus is located within the boundaries of an urban area and is easily accessible by two major highways.
2(public way)vía pública femininethe King's highway — la calzada real
- the highways and byways — (of region) las carreteras y los caminos
- In agreement with highways officials, our engineers will wind up the major part of work in the area on Friday.
- The planning sub-committee deferred making a decision until it received more information from the county council on highways issues.
- But campaigners were dealt a bitter blow when county highways officials confirmed that Government funding would not be available for the bypass.
- But highways officials now say the 14th century bridge will be ready to reopen in less than six weeks.
- Councillors from Horwich and Blackrod met with highways officials yesterday in an attempt to find a solution to traffic problems in Crown Lane, Horwich.
- County highways officials are considering an alternative solution to Tewkesbury town centre's traffic problems.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.