In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine colinamasculine cerromasculine colladofeminine montañafeminine cuestaa view of green, rolling hills — un panorama de verdes y ondulantes colinas
- on a hill — (on a slope) en una ladera
- we walked up/down the hill — subimos/bajamos la colina (andando)
- to park on a hill — estacionar en una cuesta
- at the foot of the hill — al pie de la colina (or de la montaña etc.)
- to head for the hills — ir hacia / dirigirse a los montes
- to take to the hills — huir / echarse al monte
- before noun hill country — territorio montañoso
- hill people — montañeses
- hill town — ciudad de montaña
- The landscape of the study area is characterized by low hills and flat lands within the San Miguel de Allende Graben.
- The structures are so familiar - the way the hills and the roads intersect is so similar.
- Buses were having trouble getting up the hill on that stretch of road, York Region police say.
- The interior consists of mountains, hills, valleys, and a high central plateau.
- The terrain can be hills and mountains as well as towers and buildings.
- Along the fields, natural waterfalls on the hills or mountains were spreading their beauty like a folding screen.
- The tribes, rightly, are required to show their connections with various rivers, mountains, hills, and land sites.
- We are in a rather remote area in a wooded hills near the Pennsylvania border.
- From the south and west, leave the M20 at junction 7, turning left along the slip road and up the hill.
- Ignore side roads as you go up the hill and over a cross roads with traffic lights.
- Rowan Hill is well situated in a very exclusive area overlooking the valley, hills and mountains around Mallow.
- Practice braking before you try any steep slopes or hills.
- We had nearly 40 kilometers on flat open roads before hitting the hills.
- You have to leave the main road and climb a steep hill to finally descend into Marigot Bay, a yachtsman's dream of shelter.
- Except for the Terminal Moraine boulders of the area's natural hills and valleys, the Park is completely manmade.
- Mosport is a very tricky track, with hills, drops and off camber turns.
- The weather in southwestern Germany, with its mountain peaks and rolling hills, can turn nasty in a hurry.
- Forests, meadow land, rolling hills and mountains, all populated with small villages, are on the menu.
- She remembered the mountain road with its steep hills and sharp curves.
- The countryside is beautiful, with farmhouses and rice paddies in the valleys, surrounded by wooded hills and mountains.
- Your garden may be influenced by very different topography: mountains, hills, flat or rolling plains.
- He drove up to the hills along the remembered roads, frightening in their familiarity.
- The flat plains became gently rolling hills and the hills merged with high mountains.
- Scary Street runs up a steep hill to a T junction onto a busy road.
- The course has steep hills, and the roads sweep wide, then narrow to cobblestones.
- A tricky road, on a hill where the cars, as they coast down, can't help but nudge over 30.
- Carry on up the hill until the road begins to drop again.
- Backward rolls were always more difficult, though, because there was no way to see the end of the hill or mountainside.
- It sounded like they were just coming down the small hill on the access road, where it meets the main road at a right angle.
- I finally reached a section of road with a small hill at the bottom, which lead all the way to a gate and a neighborhood of cookie cutter houses.
- The southern region is of volcanic origin, with a mountainous terrain of red clay hills, waterfalls, rivers, and streams.
- The customer also added that the car seemed to run strange whenever she was descending a hill or steep grade.
- The instructions were to design a simple landscape sketch using a minimum of five to six land forms - hills, mountains, lakes and so on.
- We have been blessed with everything from deserts and rolling hills to cloud-shrouded mountain peaks.
- I was going up a hill on an 80k road, and he told me to accelerate.
- Time after time, he and the girls go back to the same hills, the same stretches of road.
- They were currently heading down a hill in the road, which had taken effort to scale, but there wasn't any involved in going down.
- Topography in both areas consists of extensive plains and low hills among mountain ranges.
- Outside it represents upper areas on the landscape, open fields, hills and land that rises higher than the rest.
- Above the crest of the craggy hill the pilots had landed on, a small squad of Germans appeared, shouting and motioning to the parachutes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.