In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine colinamasculine cerromasculine colladofeminine montañafeminine cuestaa view of green, rolling hills — un panorama de verdes y ondulantes colinas
- on a hill — (on the top) en (lo alto de) una colina
- we walked up/down the hill — subimos/bajamos la colina (andando)
- to park on a hill — aparcar en una cuesta
- at the foot of the hill — al pie de la colina (/ de la montaña etc. )
- to head for the hills — ir hacia / dirigirse a los montes
- to take to the hills — huir al monte
- up hill and down dale — cuesta arriba y cuesta abajo
- as old as the hills — más viejo que Matusalén
- his grandfather/that joke is as old as the hills — su abuelo/ese chiste es más viejo que Matusalén
- not to amount to a hill of beans — no valer nada
- to be over the hill — estar para el arrastre
- before noun hill country — territorio montañoso
- hill people — montañeses
- hill town — ciudad de montaña
- The structures are so familiar - the way the hills and the roads intersect is so similar.
- Along the fields, natural waterfalls on the hills or mountains were spreading their beauty like a folding screen.
- The landscape of the study area is characterized by low hills and flat lands within the San Miguel de Allende Graben.
- Carry on up the hill until the road begins to drop again.
- Rowan Hill is well situated in a very exclusive area overlooking the valley, hills and mountains around Mallow.
- The customer also added that the car seemed to run strange whenever she was descending a hill or steep grade.
- You have to leave the main road and climb a steep hill to finally descend into Marigot Bay, a yachtsman's dream of shelter.
- The interior consists of mountains, hills, valleys, and a high central plateau.
- She remembered the mountain road with its steep hills and sharp curves.
- A tricky road, on a hill where the cars, as they coast down, can't help but nudge over 30.
- We have been blessed with everything from deserts and rolling hills to cloud-shrouded mountain peaks.
- Ignore side roads as you go up the hill and over a cross roads with traffic lights.
- Time after time, he and the girls go back to the same hills, the same stretches of road.
- Topography in both areas consists of extensive plains and low hills among mountain ranges.
- The course has steep hills, and the roads sweep wide, then narrow to cobblestones.
- The instructions were to design a simple landscape sketch using a minimum of five to six land forms - hills, mountains, lakes and so on.
- It sounded like they were just coming down the small hill on the access road, where it meets the main road at a right angle.
- We are in a rather remote area in a wooded hills near the Pennsylvania border.
- From the south and west, leave the M20 at junction 7, turning left along the slip road and up the hill.
- He drove up to the hills along the remembered roads, frightening in their familiarity.
- Backward rolls were always more difficult, though, because there was no way to see the end of the hill or mountainside.
- The terrain can be hills and mountains as well as towers and buildings.
- I was going up a hill on an 80k road, and he told me to accelerate.
- Above the crest of the craggy hill the pilots had landed on, a small squad of Germans appeared, shouting and motioning to the parachutes.
- The flat plains became gently rolling hills and the hills merged with high mountains.
- Practice braking before you try any steep slopes or hills.
- Scary Street runs up a steep hill to a T junction onto a busy road.
- I finally reached a section of road with a small hill at the bottom, which lead all the way to a gate and a neighborhood of cookie cutter houses.
- Mosport is a very tricky track, with hills, drops and off camber turns.
- The tribes, rightly, are required to show their connections with various rivers, mountains, hills, and land sites.
- Outside it represents upper areas on the landscape, open fields, hills and land that rises higher than the rest.
- Your garden may be influenced by very different topography: mountains, hills, flat or rolling plains.
- They were currently heading down a hill in the road, which had taken effort to scale, but there wasn't any involved in going down.
- Buses were having trouble getting up the hill on that stretch of road, York Region police say.
- We had nearly 40 kilometers on flat open roads before hitting the hills.
- The weather in southwestern Germany, with its mountain peaks and rolling hills, can turn nasty in a hurry.
- Forests, meadow land, rolling hills and mountains, all populated with small villages, are on the menu.
- Except for the Terminal Moraine boulders of the area's natural hills and valleys, the Park is completely manmade.
- The southern region is of volcanic origin, with a mountainous terrain of red clay hills, waterfalls, rivers, and streams.
- The countryside is beautiful, with farmhouses and rice paddies in the valleys, surrounded by wooded hills and mountains.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.