In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cadera feminine(size/measurement) de caderaswith one's hands on one's hips — con los brazos en jarras
- to be broad/narrow in the hip(s) — ser ancho/estrecho de cadera(s)
- to shoot from the hip — (with pistol) disparar sin apuntar
- to be joined at the hip — ser carne y uña
2(joint)cadera femininethey fitted him with a plastic hip — le pusieron una cadera de plástico
1Botanyescaramujo masculinehips and haws — escaramujos y espinos
1dated, slang'in' dated informalen la onda informalshe's really hip to what's going on — está muy en la onda de lo que ocurre informal
- ‘Shiny, 24-year-old people who were all very hip and cool were going into this thing,’ he said.
- I guess they'll ‘get it’ on the repeat and I'll look hip and groovy.
- The new look is very cool, very hip, with lots of good pictures.
- It's fun, bubbly and wonderful to look at, a real treat for the eyes and ears in a totally groovy, hip kind of way.
- The atmospheres that you dance around in looks very hip and trendy and is, obviously, quite fitting to the theme of the game.
- He's hip to what he calls "the game" the music business has evolved into.
- You could be wearing the most fashionable, hip outfit, and you will still look like a doofus when you're on vacation.
- I'd like to say I bought them specially for the party, being far too hip and funky to ever have such items of clothing in my wardrobe, but I can't.
- I first spotted it on goobita a while back, but now it's all the rage with the hip groovy kids of Britain.
- I thought it was some new street slang that I wasn't yet hip to.
- She can be hip and happening and studious at the same time.
- Which bands are hip young things with cool haircuts currently referencing?
- In today's culture, it's very hip and very cool to be seen as a person who is searching for ‘truth.’
- I bought a packet at the weekend, and it now comes in a new funky, hip packaging.
- Yes, we deliberately chose people who were high profile, and also yes, quite cool and quite hip and quite witty.
- It was might cool place where all the hip cats and dudes hangout.
- After Dil Chahta Hai, this is Aamir's latest attempt at a cool and hip flick.
- Aimed at the youth, the designers promise a young, funky and hip look in their collections.
- But now it's a fashionable district of hip bars and restaurants, full of restored synagogues, Jewish cemeteries and kosher restaurants.
- I didn't want to bring this up, but, you know - revolutionaries as we have known them were anything but trendy, hip people.
- They are empty, overly wholesome fodder that only give off the ‘aura’ of being hip and fashionable.
- She and Jonze married in 1999, in front of a hip crowd peppered with designer rock and fashion icons.
- Their backsides, hips and thighs are also larger.
- Begin by tightening your buttocks and lifting your hips off the floor.
- They have the option of the ‘comfort fit’ jeans, which are cut to hide a generous waistline and ample hips.
- She wore no coat and a pair of old, ragged shorts hugged her slim hips.
- She had an fine body, even though she was a tad wider in the hips and behind area then fashion models, mind you, she did eat.
- The royal family are shown with elongated skulls and pear-shaped bodies with skinny torsos and arms but fuller hips, stomachs and thighs.
- If you're a bit heavy and feel that a tapered hem makes your hips or upper thighs look bigger, try a straight leg style instead.
- Only four and a half feet tall, she had enormous hips and buttocks, but otherwise normal body parts.
- Then Lastri related how customers would frequently touch or brush against her hips and buttocks.
- The message that large hips are healthy follows a drive by some high street stores to recognise that big is beautiful.
- The low waistline hugged her hips and the skirt was not heavy or overflowing.
- The ideal shape has a deep V-neck and is long enough to cover the hips and bottom.
- If your hips, buttocks or thighs start to have an unsightly rippled look, use Celutrol's massage glove.
- This workout targets the quadriceps, hamstrings, buttocks, upper hips, inner thighs and calves.
- The third group is composed of patients that have a mild amount of excess in the belly, hips, thighs and sagging buttocks.
- But there was Mac, with her height, wide hips, and generous backside and chest.
- As Graham followed her swaying hips inside, he had to fight with his body for control.
- The costume fit snugly around her obvious curves at the waist, hips, and upper chest.
- She has a 52 in bust, 64 in hips, and the circumference of her arms is 22 in.
- If you carry most of your fat around your hips and thighs or lower body, you're considered to be pear-shaped.
- Less well known is rose hip soup, a sweet, cold soup high in vitamin C, traditionally served during the long winter months when fruits are scarce.
- Developing rose hips and seeds above the girdling will die.
- The hedgerows are rich with fruit, elderberries, blackberries, sloes, hips and damsons.
- Evening primrose, wheat germ, and rose hip seed oils all make fine additives to this mask.
- After the flowers fade, they produce large orange or red hips that may reach an inch across.
- The hips of shrub roses make a colorful display, while southern magnolia has large seedpods with glowing red berries.
- It is remarkably rich in vitamin C, outdoing even rose hips in this respect and having a twentyfold advantage over oranges, weight for weight.
- Then we scramble down the slope to the stony beach, and nibble on wild rose hips.
- In autumn, the flowers are transformed into small bright orange hips.
- The fall brings bright orange rose hips to decorate the bush.
- Crab apples were used as were sloes, rose hips and rowan berries.
- Rosa rugosa alba has white flowers and huge orange hips, while R rugosa scabrosa has pink flowers and tomato-red hips.
- Allow the dead flowers to form hips, which helps signal the plants that winter's coming.
- Permit rose hips to remain on the shrub as food for overwintering birds and color interest in an otherwise dull winter garden.
- You can even make rose hip tea for yourself and your guests!
- And the vitamin C content is among the highest for any plant - fourth after rose hips, hot chili pepper and sweet red pepper.
- You can avoid caffeine by choosing green teas such as Chinese Gunpowder, and herbal teas with rose hips, chamomile, peppermint and raspberry.
- Filled with the energy of a season's growth, hips and berries are certainly the fruit of a plant's labour.
- And like the apple or most any fruit, the hip can be used in several ways by the successful gardener.
- Lemon juice bleaches the color; try rose hips instead.
- Hip Hip Hooray! OK, Dad is out of the woods. He was moved on Monday to the "Transitional Care Unit" (rehab floor).
- Neil was born today, hip-hip hooray!
1hip, hip, hooray / hurrah! — ¡hurra!
home information pack
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.