In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Elephants and hippos certainly do not have tails like cedar trees!
- Until well into the 1980s, anatomical studies suggested that hippos may have evolved from pigs.
- There have been villagers in other parts of Zambia mauled by lions, trampled underfoot by elephants and hippos.
- Like elephants, hippos and bushpigs, porcupines are nocturnal crop raiders.
- A guard with a motorcycle and a shotgun could move through fields at night and work with farmers to scare elephants and hippos.
- Tsavo West is filled with crocodiles, vervet monkeys, antelope, baboons, giraffes and hippos.
- Still to be introduced are the hippo, cheetah, lion and brown hyena.
- The themed area, which spans ten acres, is home to the zoo's most recent arrivals - three hippos, two white rhinos and three giraffes.
- The hippos snorted, the rhinos dozed and the giraffes nervously darted about as the hammer fell yesterday at Africa's largest wild animal auction.
- All carnivores would be in one zone, and a miniature savannah with deer, rhino, elephant, giraffe and hippo forming another.
- The wildlife to see here includes buffalo, hippo, black rhino, lion and wild dog.
- Whales are in fact more closely related to hippos than to mesonychids, and the similarity in teeth is a convergently evolved feature.
- The modern hippos are divided into two genera and two species.
- After hippos, bovids are the most abundant group of mammalian fossils.
- Leopards, cheetahs, elephants, hippos and polar bears are being killed in unprecedented numbers.
- Unlike elephants and bushpigs, hippos are not quick to apply any initiative.
- Perhaps they feel more comfortable with their own size when they wander among rhinos and hippos.
- They found lemurs the size of gorillas, hippos no bigger than pigs and enormous elephant birds.
- The family had a wild time in Disney's Animal Kingdom and enjoyed close encounters with giraffes, hippos, lions and tigers.
- Once the two hippos are comfortable with each other, Mzee will be returned to his original grounds with other tortoises.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.