In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(momentous)(moment/event) memorablean error of historic proportions — un error de los que hacen historia
- The local community is campaigning for a museum to commemorate the district as the historic birthplace of the famous car.
- For 2,532 years these historic sites have held importance in the mind of the Buddhists.
- It is important that the historic perspective to the issue be explored openly.
- Tourism in Kerala thrives not thanks to any sites of religious or historic significance.
- There are many pubs and churches and sites of great historic importance.
- Many of Italy's most famous museums and historic sites will in future be run by private companies.
- It was worth it, as it is one of the most beautiful and important historic Khmer sites in Thailand.
- Many demonstrators will don medieval dress to highlight the historic importance of the earmarked site.
- Those buildings have been there since the 18th century and have historic importance.
- But he argues that equally important is a historic sense of inferiority in the Muslim world.
- Not many places can boast being both a centre of historic importance and outstanding natural beauty.
- Mr Ahern said it was a challenging and important post at a historic point in the union's development.
- Roman coins and blue glass beads have been found among the remains of buildings at the Groundwell Ridge historic site.
- They had greatly enjoyed the trip and it was a historic and important occasion, he said.
- Luxor in Egypt is renowned for its great historic sites but now a special school is making its own bit of history.
- Many of these important historic racing cars are driven by famous faces from motor sport past and present.
- Two of Pembroke Dock's most important historic buildings are being given a major facelift.
- It is a truly historic occasion - a moment of passing in the corporate family.
- Instead, he argued that it was important to win a historic third term.
- If Beijing can fulfil such targets, it should be a memorable and historic occasion.
2Linguistics(tense) históricothe historic present — el presente histórico
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.