In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1hockey sobre hielo masculine US(game/player) de hockey sobre hielohockey puck — puck
- hockey rink — rink de hockey sobre hielo
- It was a night of disappointment for Orkney on Friday as the senior football and hockey teams lost out.
- The centre is host to a number of different sports including hockey, soccer and cricket.
- But this time on the synthetic turf pitches that are an integral part of the modern game of hockey.
- The garden is situated beyond the Camellia House, behind the wall that runs alongside the hockey pitch.
- So successfully in fact, that she was picked for Kent's youth teams for both hockey and cricket.
- The team will need to tighten its defence, play possession hockey and score more goals if it is not to be relegated.
- Now children have the choice of all these plus football, hockey and gymnastics.
- Kevin, a goal keeper, plays hockey all over the world as his work takes him to new places.
- Andy Gard was a healthy teenager who loved all sports and played hockey for his county.
- Vicky has physiotherapy every day at school and plays hockey for the school team.
- The second-half saw an excellent game of hockey with both teams determined to dominate.
- There is no indication what the surface was, but it served for all manner of games from football to hockey, to cricket.
- Admittedly, hockey is a team game, and we cannot attribute all losses just to one person.
- After half an hour a few more people start to turn up and the hockey gets under way.
- In truth, though, Oxford did not produce the hockey they are no doubt capable of in the second period.
- Football, hockey and tennis will be available for both school and community use.
- It will mean we'll be able to extend our facilities for hockey, football, netball and basketball.
- What Indian players need is competitive hockey rather than long overdrawn camps.
- She is in Huntington School girls' football team and enjoys playing hockey and netball.
- Major team sports include rugby, soccer and cricket for boys and hockey and netball for girls.
2British(played on grass)hockey (sobre hierba) masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.