In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Nochevieja femininenoche de fin de año feminine
- She added that there would be special provisions for major events such as the Hogmanay celebrations in the centre of the city.
- However, the biggest celebration of all is planned for Hogmanay, when Glasgow plans to show the rest of the world how to party.
- Until 1998 Scotland broadcast its Hogmanay celebrations to the whole of the UK.
- On Hogmanay I met my neighbour twice, swirling through the crowd at the local hall.
- The year of millennium celebrations comes to an end with the biggest and best Hogmanay and New Year bash that Scotland has seen.
- Ally and Blair are off to Scotland for Christmas and Hogmanay with Blair's family so today is the last day that the we can all get together for a meal.
- It's a uniquely Scottish celebration - at Hogmanay everyone really enters into the spirit of it.
- So instead, I'm planning on going to a house party to celebrate Hogmanay with some friends (inside where it is warm).
- What is central to Hogmanay is the idea of giving, exchange, celebration, enjoyment, even kissing.
- Edinburgh's Hogmanay is now a brilliant party and Scotland's other cities have an open invitation to join it.
- At Hogmanay, I'm a bit of a traditionalist, and like to see the bells in with my parents.
- Today, Edinburgh's Hogmanay is the biggest New Year party in Europe.
- Grant, 23, had bought a ring he had chosen with Pamela, also 23, and planned to present it to her on Hogmanay, but was unable to keep it a secret.
- I recall on the millennium Hogmanay he chose to attend a local Glasgow street party.
- New Year's Eve, called Hogmanay, has long been the main midwinter celebration.
- I have a theory that that's the reason why Hogmanay is more important in Scotland than New Year's Day.
- An established festival like Hogmanay is a winner.
- The first Hogmanay after her recovery, Robin proposed to her in the Balmoral hotel, Edinburgh, against a background of fireworks.
- The City of Edinburgh Council has mooted an art festival to coincide with Edinburgh's Hogmanay as part of its visual arts strategy.
- But within days she flew to Scotland for Hogmanay with an actor, and three rock stars.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.