1the hoi polloi — la plebe
- Yesterday's announcement made it clear they no longer want to engage with the hoi polloi.
- She says half her daily calls are from angry residents who can't believe they have to share the sidewalk with the hoi polloi.
- They've had centuries to do little but perfect the small talk required when meeting the hoi polloi who pay for their increasingly bizarre visits.
- There is always a tendency for the political class to assume that they always know better than the hoi polloi what is right and proper, and to assume that therefore they are entitled to make decisions on behalf of the rest.
- There is something humbling about watching the great and the good do things normally reserved for the hoi polloi.
- Essentially, he came out sounding like a high priest offended that the hoi polloi were infringing on his turf.
- Unfortunately, too often, it is the liberals who believe that they should run the country because they're superior to the hoi polloi.
- But the thing about democracy is that it's supposed to keep a lid on the worst impulses of the ruling class by allowing the hoi polloi to be involved in the process.
- Apparently it's too risky to divulge to the hoi polloi where money is spent.
- In one of the rooms my father started a conversation with one of the elderly ladies who were standing sentinel to make sure that the hoi polloi didn't walk off with the silverware.