In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This is exactly the hokey kinda song that only Lee can get away with.
- Some of the backgrounds appear grainier than the rest of the picture, and sometimes the special effects look a little hokey.
- He recited the words and managed to keep it from sounding hokey or stilted, and the rest of his speech was genuinely inspiring, not just the usual catch-phrases.
- If only the plot didn't sound so hokey.
- On the other hand, this is all hokey second rate filmmaking.
- Would it be too hokey to say that I'm only hungry for you?
- You know that the contributions were seminal and shaped the future in the genre, but everything is dated, implausibly created and hokey in comparison to modern examples of the genre.
- It's odd in a hokey nostalgic way I just can't describe.
- I just find the whole story too hokey.
- That saying about laughter being the best medicine is hokey but true, especially for shaking the blues.
- It should have sounded hokey, a sentiment like that, but from him, it even seemed slightly impressive.
- He does well connecting with a scene, but often comes across as melodramatic and hokey in this silly musical.
- The audience is on the edge of its seat - or, would be, if the whole movie's premise weren't so damn hokey to begin with.
- Without being hokey or melodramatic, there is a message of hope in the album… it's positive.
- He dresses his piece up with a whole lot of hokey nonsense - it's nearly 1600 words where 200 would have done.
- Barlow also prefers writing songs about issues that currently plague the world, rather than hokey love songs.
- Most often this group is targeted with a single approach, a somewhat corny or hokey jingle and stock message.
- This might seem hokey, but a love letter laced with concern can be quite effective.
- But that's what friends are for, corny and hokey as that sounds.
- Although the hokey use of literary criticism gets tiring really quick, the often prescient comments about friction between contemporary world cultures and its future direction is what makes some interesting reading.
- It's a little hokey, but the approach is sensible and sound.
- If only the director could come to terms with the fact that his dramatic tendencies are hokey and unoriginal.
- Few things are harder to create convincingly than an album of rhyming spoken word - it's hard not to sound pretentious, derivative or hokey.
- It's definitely not hokey or unsuitably romantic or otherwise tacky or out of date.
- It's cheesy, hokey, melodramatic and superficial.
- These films are very hokey, more so than normal horror films, very easily parodied, and at least one of the stories tends to verge on comedy.
- Could this hopelessly dated, hokey, predictable bit of nonsense with dime store special effects possibly be the series that once scared me so much I insisted all the living room lights be on when we watched?
- It may sound hokey, but the mental shift worked.
- A little hokey, but those kids will remember it for the rest of their lives.
- The fact that Mitch had gone up to the stage and sang some hokey karaoke song love song, his eyes glimpsing again and again at Jess, had only egged Lynn on.
- Personally, I didn't even like the first one, too much hokey action and not enough philosophy, but the second was better in both regards.
- Well sure it's a bit corny, and even frequently hokey, but it's fun, too.
- Take note: children in songs is generally hokey and trite but here, it's dialogue from the film, so it's totally ok.
- If you can get past the occasionally hokey dialogue, these stories are wonderfully charming, compelling reads, and fantastic value for money.
- For the most part Daniela is not hokey or cheesy, as many performers who dip into these waters can be.
- It starts off pretty solid - despite the hokey gypsy Tarot card lady in the beginning - and pretty chilling, but after the first act is over, watch out.
- It's difficult to describe the plot of film without making it sound hokey and mawkish.
- It might sound hokey, but drawing has been really helpful for me - not only for dealing with emotions but in helping me get back into my artwork again.
- I just think everyone associates with Christmas, in terms of coming together, in terms of - you know, to be really hokey, in terms of love and goodwill.
- Some of the scenes are excessively hokey, like the oversized LED-enhanced belt buckles that allow the aliens to create neural fields, or something like that, that temporarily paralyze the humans.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.