In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(nonsense)paparruchas feminine informalpijotadas feminine Spain informal
- The first thing to forget is any notion that all this hokum is based on proper science.
- Say, for the sake of argument, that this is all unsubstantiated holistic hokum.
- During its heyday, Hollywood churned out hundreds of such harmonious hokum, trading on everything from ice skating to swimming ability as a reason for breaking into a popular tune.
- Sadly, he could have done with a meatier storyline to rescue the movie from well-crafted hokum, which is a bit of a shame, given the money, the stress and a year's work.
- It's surprising, then, how a couple of strangely touching notes toward the close redeem a work that boldly straddles the line between total hokum and the very stimulating.
- This sounds like hokum, but it helped my cat immeasurably (by reducing his stress I suppose).
- These episodes do have messages, but they're buried under so much '60s television action series hokum that they are difficult to find and are rendered almost meaningless.
- What does new age hokum have to do with our research?
- All the press stories about this topic are just hokum.
- But it's nicely shot hokum, and almost instantly forgettable.
- If hokum like that can find its way into the final film, why not some more over-the-top musical numbers?
- That's bosh and hokum, and it does a disservice to the people.
- This film is head and shoulders above Hollywood hokum based in the same situations.
- And yet, coming out of the preview, marvelling at the sheer gall of such hokum, I overheard fellow reviewers earnestly discussing how ‘real’ the film was.
- Hence the tired refrain about what they did is a load of emotional hokum - argument by outrage.
- The plot and characterizations have been whittled into the barest of Hollywood hokum.
- It is quite possible that the article was published in the full knowledge of the author and the editor of this magazine that it is all hokum, but fun.
- But I would say this whole hokum about these missile agreements, these negotiations, has now broken into a total farce.
- And this ‘mental modeling’ notion is pure hokum.
- It just adds to the hokum overload in this disappointing novel.
- Is this just another serving of Hollywood hokum?
- I don't care whether it is all hokum and a big con trick
- If you're a nightly news devotee, then the 30-second hokum that often passes for nutrition science may confuse you at the very least or derail your long-term health at worst.
- There's too much of this kind of prima-donna diving going on in football already and to see a player of Kelly's outstanding calibre resort to that kind of hokum is as disappointing as it is pathetic.
- This was clearly hokum as subsequent details of Denis's comfortable bank balance became apparent.
- Rarely a week goes by without similar flights of fantasy, the latest being some hokum about Prince William, the very mention of whose name is said to send sales of newspapers into the stratosphere.
- Whatever the case, the young Englishman's account is pure hokum.
- For some of today's filmgoers, it's outdated hokum; for others, it's one of the all-time greatest love stories on film.
- Looking at the film now, it works beautifully as pure family entertainment, heavy on the sarcastic wit and full of unadulterated corn, cheese and hokum, especially in the final family group-hug scene.
- He handles the far-fetched hokum very well and with a constant sense of humor - the cat being eaten off-screen is hilarious.
- Film review: A brilliantly made piece of sci-fi hokum.
- Despite the laborious backstory and mood lighting, the movie is chock full of standard comic book hokum.
2US(corny material)recursos efectistas de tipo melodramático o cómico
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.