In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(attitude) de superioridad moral
- I had not been able to stand his put-downs and holier-than-thou attitude.
- We do not want to watch his ‘out of control’ yet suspiciously manipulative antics nor listen to his condescending, holier-than-thou judgments.
- Penn has proved to be the most talented of the bunch, although one can tire of his holier-than-thou attitude to script selection.
- Not only is he arrogant, by his own admission, but also ignorant (as in rude) and insulting with his self-opinionated, holier-than-thou, stance
- I don't understand the holier-than-thou attitude from someone who has always seemed very level-headed and calm.
- Unfortunately this discussion is always led by a holier-than-thou media: by media commentators who actually view themselves as being separate from politics.
- This is about people and their holier-than-thou attitudes when it comes to picking and choosing their specific little tirades against humanity.
- The group's success led to national media attention, but also provoked animosity, as some accused it of a collective holier-than-thou attitude.
- Rather than face the facts and argue logically with the opposition, you just muscle in and grab the ultimate holier-than-thou slogan which automatically places anyone who dares disagree with you on the side of Satan.
- Don't give me your sanctimonious, holier-than-thou speech about drinking.
- Slightly sheepish in responding to questions over being a regular church-goer, Tom is keen to avoid being presented as a holier-than-thou type.
- What's with the holier-than-thou attitude anyway… don't tell me you have not broken a dozen or two traffic rules?
- I don't want to adopt a holier-than-thou attitude on this, because I have at times been as much at fault as other writers.
- And I again insist that to re-establish a strong conception of duty, it is not enough to preach from a holier-than-thou position.
- This self-righteousness, this bilious holier-than-thou attitude not only amazes me, it saddens me quite a bit too.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.