In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1holly (bush/tree) — acebo
- We bought what appeared to be a healthy holly tree, planted it in a large pot and placed it on our patio.
- Severe winter conditions, and sometimes soil deficiencies, may cause physiological problems such as sunscald and purple spot on the leaves of evergreen hollies.
- Some popular small trees and shrubs with birds are: blueberries, elderberries, hollies, cherries, and dogwoods.
- Every garden should have holly with berries for Christmas.
- The flowers are fairly small but numerous and are a satisfying contrast with the dark leaves of the holly tree.
- Their broadly indented margins show the distinctive prickly spines that are typical of most evergreen hollies - and dangerous to bare feet!
- The holly's convex, glossy leaves contrast nicely with the Korean boxwood's flat, oval, lighter green leaves.
- If you order one, make sure to also order a mate for it, since hollies come in males and females - and it takes both to make berries.
- Some hollies have orange berries rather than red, as does Pyracantha (firethorn).
- These days, we use the holly primarily as a structural evergreen shrub.
- Avoid prickly leaves like holly or ones that are extremely fragile.
- The sharp, prickly leaves provide an effective deterrent, and the holly can be removed after a few weeks.
- Winter birds prefer evergreens like holly and junipers, which provide shelter and food.
- And then there are the usual green plants with red berries such as hollies and barberry, and old garden roses with showy hips.
- Evergreens and shrubs - including junipers and hollies - offer protection.
- If you simply must have an evergreen, then what about a variegated holly?
- Most hollies are either male or female and need to have a nearby partner for good crop of berries to be produced, I suspect this is why ours crops so erratically.
- Both deciduous and evergreen hollies are much loved for their berries, which range in color from orange and red to yellow and black.
- Japanese hollies seldom require much pruning in our area.
- This month, nurseries will be offering dozens of hollies, many in full berry.
2(foliage)acebo masculinebefore noun holly berry — baya de acebo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.