In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the Holy Ghost — el Espíritu Santo
- Rather, we are to go and teach them, baptising them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
- Mark wrote under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost.
- The Holy Spirit, or Holy Ghost, of God is the power of God that makes all things possible.
- The Holy Ghost has been sent down to us from the Father to accomplish one eternal purpose.
- He went to his bed that night with a sense of peace and joy in the Holy Ghost.
- Christianity also teaches that after Jesus' earthly life, God's presence remained on earth in the form of the Holy Spirit, or Holy Ghost.
- But he had witnesses who said that the Holy Ghost came there as it had at the first at Pentecost, and so the apostles were reconciled to the idea of Gentiles coming into the hope and blessings of the kingdom by grace.
- After the holy Virgin had given her assent, the Holy Ghost came upon her according to the Lord's word, which the angel had spoken, and purified her and gave her the power both to receive the divinity of the Word and to beget.
- At any rate, my dear hearers, if you have not with your whole hearts loved and worshiped God, repent over it, and pray the Holy Ghost to make you spiritual.
- You know I believe in God the eternal father and in his son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost.
- A follower of Paul must stay there longer than the apostle did, and preach his doctrines with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven.
- When I grew up we called this member of the Trinity the Holy Ghost.
- It is the time when Christ, who was conceived of the Holy Ghost and born of the Blessed Virgin Mary, came to earth as an innocent child.
- He wrote, ‘The intention of the Holy Ghost is to teach us how to go to heaven, not how heaven goes.’
- I believe that Jesus was the Son of God who was incarnate by the Holy Ghost to the Virgin Mary and was made man and was crucified for our sins under Pontius Pilate, and rose again.
- God grants his grace to the believer as a free gift, consequent upon Christ's redeeming work, through the operation of the Holy Ghost, and it is appropriated by faith alone.
- All in that room felt the awesome presence of God the Holy Ghost.
- ‘In the name of the Father and of the Son and the Holy Ghost,’ Father Andrew concluded, crossing himself in unison with the congregation.
- Although most later translations of The Bible use the term Holy Spirit, many people are very well aware of, and use, the term Holy Ghost, as read in the classic King James Version.
- We therefore bring to mind Pentecost, the descent of the Holy Ghost upon the apostles, as a highly significant event.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.