In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1papas fritas femininepatatas fritas feminine Spain
- He orders New York steak, rare, two eggs, poached, and home fries.
- The chicken is served with a choice of home fries, baked potatoes or rice and black beans.
- She set a plate of scrambled eggs, sausage, and home fries down in front of me.
- A hiker requires calories, and I have saved up breakfast for just this moment: an oval platter of peameal bacon, home fries, eggs and toast appears on the counter, fresh from the grill.
- The diner was crowded requiring a relatively long wait but my breakfast was near perfect - good OJ and coffee, unblemished scrambled eggs, hot tasty home fries, warm biscuits and bacon exactly as ordered.
- The menu for the brunch includes hot cakes, sausage, home fries, scrambled eggs, biscuits 'n sausage gravy, meat loaf, potato casserole, fresh fruit, pastries and beverage.
- Along with rice, it was served with a salad and home-fried potatoes, which he found really good with some smoky salsa.
- When the waiter came I asked if the omelettes came with home fries.
- I had a Mexican omelet, which was somewhat good, although I would have liked hash browns instead of home fries.
- The side of home fries was abandoned after the first forkful.
- It is a big English style breakfast with eggs, back bacon, sausage, tomatoes, home fries, toast and tea or coffee refills.
- ‘I'll have a triple stack of pancakes with a side of bacon, toast, and home fries,’ said Brack, eyeing me deviously.
- I'm not much of a pancake eater anyway, and it's really hard to mess up eggs and home fries.
- These are followed by a choice of bistro style sandwiches, and then sausages with home fries, potato salad or French-fries.
- My dish came with home fries, which I expected would be homemade French fries, but discovered are in fact a dish of boiled and diced potatoes, fried in a skillet with onions.
- Fries were also ho-hum - better to choose the buttery mashed potatoes or crispy home fries.
- They ended up at a diner, where Eric ordered scrambled eggs, and Brian had the Breakfast Combo, fried eggs with bacon, sausage and home fries.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.