In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- On the contrary, two years of home rule have given Scotland's rural and coastal communities unprecedented attention and political clout.
- The 1886 riots were not simply the result of communal tension, but also the working out of conflict relating to the political issue of the day, the question of home rule for Ireland.
- The Faroe Islands and Greenland were granted home rule by Denmark in 1947 and 1979 respectively.
- For most of his life, the Scottish Labour Party was, if not actually opposed to home rule, at least highly ambivalent about it.
- He was 16 when Gandhi started his nationalist movement for home rule.
- A form of home rule followed, though Congress still has unique rights in bossing the place about.
- The north west will be one of the first two regions to say whether it wants home rule.
- Labour decided that, because I criticised spin doctors and argued for home rule, I must be a Scottish Nationalist.
- In 1887 a series of protests over unemployment and home rule for Ireland - an important issue given the large number of Irish immigrants - helped stoke the mood across London.
- He made his maiden speech in Parliament in 1912 when, not surprisingly given his background, he supported the Unionists in a debate on Irish home rule.
- He illustrates the detrimental effects of centralized power and the lack of home rule on the ability of local governments to make decisions and provide services.
- Born in Dublin in 1856, Bernard Shaw was a firm believer in home rule for Ireland.
- Many Scottish voters feel that they have the amount of home rule they want, with most areas of domestic policy being controlled in Edinburgh.
- It has allowed states to grant local governments measures of home rule, though this will differ from state to state.
- In many ways that is part of the strength of our nation, and the federal system and local home rule are valuable products of our democratic society.
- The period film is set in the 1940s, when the transition from British rule to home rule starts and finally leads to independence.
- Scottish home rule was a triumph of participatory democracy, but it arrived when people were losing the habit of participation.
- In the 1980s and early 1990s he held a unique position in Scotland's political life, a talismanic figure in the campaign for home rule.
- The case for Scottish home rule was based on the idea that the nation was different.
- In 1913 he joined the Irish Volunteers, who wanted home rule for Ireland.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.