In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- So much humor depends upon homonyms and creative mishearing.
- He fractured grammar to create double or triple meanings; he developed enigmas to give his readers the satisfaction of interpreting them; he used a vocabulary of homonyms and antonyms to create multiple possible meanings…
- Though as Dave Heasman points out far too often, I still mix up homonyms.
- Read aloud again, looking for word problems: missing words, wrong homonyms (their when you mean there), misspellings, grammatical errors, and confusing words.
- Each court reporter might use different conventions to represent homonyms or other ambiguous words.
- Rhett Miller is king of the homonym and double meaning.
- The pun lost status in English, despite a wealth of homonyms.
- There is one obligatory element of the New Year's feast all over China, and that is a whole fish, because the Chinese phrase ‘have fish’ (you yu) is a homonym of ‘have surplus’, so eating it is supposed to augur well for the new year.
- Much of the chatter derives from the abundance of homonyms in Chinese, where a single sound can carry many meanings.
- Still, the basic idea is sound: given that most of our misspellings are now corrected for us by computers, the only thing standing between us and perfect spelling is homonyms.
- When my first-grader Clare typed in ‘rows’ for ‘rose,’ the device did not recognize the homonym.
- What exactly are the differences between synonyms, antonyms, and homonyms?
- Obviously, ‘compliment’ and ‘complement’ are homonyms.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.