In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We walked down the path to the house, attracted by the fragrance of the honeysuckle with which it was covered.
- Grapevines and honeysuckle are the best vines to work with.
- At Embsay I found harebell, knapweed, honeysuckle, meadowsweet, bittersweet and of course lots of teasel.
- The evergreen ivy is a rippling carpet, the twining honeysuckle a living basketry texture.
- We chose 3 varieties of thyme to put in the edges of the raised bed and 3 climbing plants to fill the trellis by the gate - two ivies and a honeysuckle.
- On walls, you should plant nectar-rich honeysuckle, wisteria and Ceanothus.
- Formal beds, divided by paths, probably contained a mixture of fragrant herbs, flowers including honeysuckle and rose, and fruit trees such as mulberry and quince.
- The sweet scent of wild honeysuckle has long been associated with summer nights.
- The woods were thick with new leaves and fragrant with honeysuckle and lilacs.
- Visitors to the garden will notice juniper, ash, walnut, mountain ash and beech trees as well as jasmine, honeysuckle, lilac, lilies and tulips.
- Depending on the season and sunlight, it could be honeysuckles, wisteria, roses, orchids, or buddleias.
- The fresh smell of pine lingered with the perfume of wild honeysuckles.
- Up the bare trunks of trees were grown passion flowers, flaming nasturtiums, jasmine, and honeysuckles to finish the picturesque scene.
- The honeysuckle, with flowers of white or red, emits a wonderful fragrance and grows to about eight feet in two years.
- Joyce advises on how to use everything from yew and ivy to honeysuckle to get the garden into shape.
- For added interest, Brenda has some clematis, honeysuckle, winter-flowering jasmine and Russian vine as climbers.
- Japanese honeysuckle is widely recognized as a problematic invasive species throughout the region.
- We stayed away from pretty but non-native invasive plants like purple loosestrife and Japanese honeysuckle.
- Old shrubs, such as spiraea, forsythia, lilac, and honeysuckle, often become overgrown and full of crowded stems and dead wood.
- The air was fragrant with late-June flowers; honeysuckle and clematis grew wild along the path.
- He said his favourite flower in the whole garden was the honeysuckle.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.