In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(good name, reputation)honor masculinepeace with honor — una paz honrosa
- a man of honor — un hombre de honor / de palabra
- a point of honor — una cuestión de honor
- you're on your honor to report it to the principal — es tu obligación moral comunicárselo al director
- to be (in) honor bound to + inf — estar moralmente obligado a + inf
- scout's / cub's honor! — ¡palabra de honor!
- In the case of an alleged rape, on the one hand the chastity and honour of a woman is at stake and on the other hand the life of a man is.
- Several Dutch historians have pointed out that when it concerned reputation, women were anxious to preserve their sexual honour.
- A tremendous amount of energy is spent to either preserve the honor of a maiden, or to take it from her.
- Few have heard of Col. Ralston but he was a fearless defender of western Christian values and the honor of chaste young women.
- Dating conflicts with strict cultural norms about female chastity and its relationship to the honor of the woman and her family.
1.2humorous archaic (chastity)honra feminine
2formal(privilege, mark of distinction)honor masculinetener el honor de + inf formalhacerle a algn el honor de + infconcederle a algn el honor de + inf formalladies and gentleman, it is a great honor for me … — señoras y señores, es para mí un gran honor …
- he received the highest honors his country could bestow — recibió los más altos honores que otorgaba su país
- with full military honors — con todos los honores militares
- to have the honor to + inf / of -ing
- to do sb the honor of -ing
- I have the honor to inform you/of informing you that … — tengo el honor de informarle que …
- may I have the honor (of this dance)? — ¿me concedería esta pieza?
- he did me the honor of receiving me — me hizo el honor de recibirme
- to do honor to sb — rendirle los honores a algn
- a reception in honor of the delegates — una recepción en honor de / en homenaje a los delegados
- in honor of her visit — para celebrar su visita
- to do the honors — hacer los honores
3(as title)Your/His/Her Honor — Su Señoría
4Gameshonoreshonors are even
- after the first round honors were approximately even — al terminar el primer asalto iban bastante parejos
- I think we can say that honors are even — creo que se puede decir que empataron (/ empatamos etc. )
5.1(special mention)honors list — University School cuadro de honor masculine
- to graduate with honors — licenciarse con matrícula (de honor) / con honores
5.2British (special mention, course of study)to do / take honours in French — licenciarse en Filología francesa
- before noun honours graduate — licenciado
- an honours degree — una licenciatura
- combined honors — titulación en dos especialidades
- She overcame his resistance, qualified with honours, and set up practice in London.
- Out of 60 exams taken, 33 passed with Honours and the remaining 27 with Highly Commended.
- After playing the electronic keyboard for several years, he took his grade 5 exam and passed with honours.
1(show respect)honrarwould you escort me in to dinner? — I'd be honored (to) — ¿me acompaña al comedor? — será un honor para mí
- I'm deeply honored to be chosen for this award — me siento muy honrada de que se me haya concedido este premio
- we are honored by your visit — nos sentimos honrados con su visita
- he honored us with his presence — nos honró con su presencia
2(keep to)(agreement/obligation) cumplir (con)I intend to honor the contract — tengo toda la intención de cumplir (con) el contrato
- to honor one's word — cumplir con su (/ mi etc. ) palabra
3Finance(bill/debt) satisfacer formal(bill/debt) pagar(check/draft) pagar(check/draft) aceptar(signature/credit card) aceptar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.