In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1matón masculine informalmatona feminine informalgorila masculine
- Not content to leave it at that, the gang of hoodlums chased after the drunken trio.
- Off-licences selling alcohol to underage drinkers could be targeted as tough tactics are adopted to stop teenage hoodlums terrorising a town.
- In fact, many people believe gangsters and hoodlums are vicious and violent by nature.
- Doesn't such an attitude encourage hoodlums to commit such crimes again and again?
- The aim is to reduce the number of criminals who prey on tourists and get young hoodlums off the streets.
- When he talks of cracking down on the hoodlums and thugs who make life miserable on Britain's poorest estates, people listen because they suspect he knows whereof he speaks.
- First of all a fearless, infallible hero pitted against a bunch of hoodlums and brutal, power-crazy politicians is too stereotypical for words.
- The hoodlums reportedly beat Palestinian villagers and vandalised their property.
- The gist is this: there's a small Scottish town plagued with young hoodlums whose violence is getting out of hand.
- Here was a young man who had left his middle-class home to fight alongside labourers, professors, artists and hoodlums.
- Suddenly a gang of young hoodlums enters, led by a thug named Frankie McCarthy.
- A pair of London hoodlums, rejected by the established criminal set, execute a spate of robberies, which finally results in the death of a policeman.
- He was a gangster, a hoodlum, a thug: much less creative than his dad.
- But the most horrific incident of this sort in the novel occurs when Lorraine is raped by C. C. Baker and his gang of hoodlums.
- One particularly edgy sequence involves the hijacking of a transit bus by a young hoodlum, who's then frustrated by the unwillingness of his hostages to express themselves honestly to him.
- Over time, Taylor begins to enjoy life as a car-jacking hoodlum.
- But this was the work of a handful of hoodlums, terrorists or just plain criminals.
- So you mean to tell me that those hoodlums are free to go after what they have been doing to my son?
- Then they saw thugs and hoodlums taking over the streets.
- Instead the tabloids were full of stories about gangs of hoodlums running out of control, terrorising vulnerable people.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.