In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1informal (spell, hex)maleficio masculine
- My magic primarily involves relationships with deity and practical hoodoo (pins in dolls, roots and herbs, found objects, candle burning, etc…).
- But oh lord, Caroline quickly links a locked attic room with resident ghosts Papa Justify and Mama Cecile, and is quickly earmarked as a tasty sacrifice in one of the more antisocial hoodoo spells.
- It results in the first Laois/Kildare final since 1946 when Laois won their last title and broke a Dublin hoodoo that had lasted for 22 years (and much longer in Croke Park).
- In her book, Hurston tells how hoodoo practitioners in New Orleans introduced her to the diversity and intensity of diasporic energies.
- Murphy knows he might need some divine intervention to end the hoodoo that has seen Leigh lose both their two previous Grand Finals as well as falling five times in six meetings with Salford this season.
- But curiosity gets the best of her, and Caroline opens the door to find a wealth of materials representing the old house's history of hoodoo, an ancient form of folk magic.
- But while walking in a park in New Orleans a few days ago, I suddenly got the urge to drop a couple of bucks on what I thought would be a mildly amusing little black magic hoodoo voodoo palm reading.
- These aren't tied to a clear religious structure - they are more like hoodoo, perhaps?
- It features stories with musicians, soldiers, vampires, hoodoo men and women, and just plain folks.
- This sort of thing is not too far removed from hoodoo & rootwork, which is one of the most effective systems of sorcery I've encountered.
- Much of Reed's work touches, to one degree or another, on hoodoo.
- There is a short feature on the difference between voodoo and hoodoo, which illuminates how one is an organized religion, and the other is a ritualistic practice of magic.
- The Bulls haven't beaten Saints in the cup since a second-round clash in 1980 and they never looked like breaking that hoodoo yesterday.
- Under the auspices of the fellowship, Hurston was to travel to Florida and New Orleans to begin her research on African American folk tales and to scout out hoodoo practice.
- Indeed, the visitors looked anything but a side haunted by a hoodoo as they set about their task with relish.
- Yeah - there's a definite difference between voodoo and hoodoo.
- There's a tradition in hoodoo called ‘the sewn-up pocket’ which is where you sew up various items (roots, herbs, found objects) into the pocket of an item of clothing.
- She's told that as long as she doesn't believe in hoodoo, it can't affect her.
- I feel more than a little awkward using hoodoo stuff, to be honest, given the vast gulf between my own advantages and the bitterly oppressed state of its originators.
- There's a long history in hoodoo of visiting graves of prominent people, leaving a gift or payment, and asking for their aid.
- For those who believe in omens, York also had to contend with a hoodoo which hadn't allowed them to win there for years.
- It has taken six long months for Inverness to rid themselves of a home hoodoo but they finally did it yesterday and, in doing so, plunged Dunfermline even deeper into the relegation mire.
- If anybody out there does hoodoo work or a related practice, then I'd be very interested in swapping notes.
- They will also need to overcome a minor hoodoo - it will be the fourth time they have hosted a live Sky match, but so far they have yet to win one.
- Manager Terry Dolan is refusing to rest on his laurels after York City's 2-1 win at Leyton Orient boosted the team's survival hopes and ended a season-long hoodoo.
- To understand hoodoo curses and cures, she had to undergo harrowing initiation rituals, which she described in ‘Mules and Men’.
- But now the hoodoo that has blighted City all season has hit again.
- Indeed the win broke some United hoodoos - for instance in six attempts they had failed to beat Lurgan Celtic; they had never won under floodlights; and they had never before reached the Mid-Ulster Shield final.
- This is more about hoodoo/voodoo and other forms of black magic.
- I don't have much time to get too many ingredients together, so ideas for simple rituals/charms/hoodoo/candle burning things would be greatly appreciated.
- Chelsea can open up an eight-point lead over Arsenal - but first they must break a nine-year hoodoo.
1.2informal (bad luck)mala suerte femininegafe masculine Spain informalyeta feminine River Plate informalchuncho masculine Chile informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.