In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Back in the Stone Age (or the Middle Ages, for that matter), the immunoglobulin E system had its hands full fighting off roundworms, tapeworms, hookworms, and flukes; it had no time for being precious about dust mites and cat hair.
- In the case of hookworms, there may also be intestinal bleeding and anemia.
- When the animal defecates, the hookworms are shed and the larvae are picked up by humans through breaks in the skin, hair follicles and even through intact skin.
- A. duodenale and N. americanus are hookworms that cause blood loss, anemia, pica and wasting.
- Our vet also found that he had hookworms and whipworms and these are now gone.
- ‘One family came to me en masse - six members - for the elimination of their hookworms,’ Dr. Nelson notes.
- Adult roundworms and hookworms are parasites that live in your pet's small intestine.
- Although it may be caused by a myriad of nematodes, the most common infective agent is a dog and cat hookworm, Ancylostoma caninum and Ancylostoma braziliense.
- The most common form of worms was hookworms, infecting 21.6 percent of those surveyed.
- The blood loss caused by hookworms can produce a microcytic hypochromic anemia.
- These can be roundworms, tapeworms or hookworms.
- Certain species of hookworms can affect humans when the larvae burrow under humans' skin and cause an itchy rash.
- Roundworms, tapeworms, and hookworms most commonly infect cats.
- They are testing a protein derived from hookworms that could be used to prevent blood clots in stroke victims.
- House flies are suspected of transmitting at least 65 human diseases such as typhoid fever, cholera, dysentery, tuberculosis, anthrax, leprosy, food poisoning, pinworms, hookworms, and some tapeworms.
- Little threadworms and hookworms are about one centimetre long, while roundworms are about 20 cm long and our friend the tapeworm can reach up to 10 metres in length.
- It eliminates the tissue stages of heartworms and also removes and controls adult and immature stages of hookworms.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.