In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cárcel femininecana feminine South America slangtrena feminine Spain slangtanque masculine Mexico slanggayola feminine River Plate slangcapacha feminine Chile informalguaconda feminine Colombia informal
- Both Shorty and One-Eyed Jack still had plenty of friends who could bust them out of the hoosegow.
- They talked about old friends, old enemies, who's alive, who's dead, and who's in the hoosegow.
- With some cells open, my brethren and I are allowed freedom to wander inside the confines of this red-walled hoosegow.
- Both Alcatraz Island and The Last Gangster told the story of a racketeer sent to the Rock on tax evasion charges (as was Capone) who learns the hard way that this isn't any old hoosegow.
- Just before midnight he was arrested by two police officers, described to me as ‘verbally aggressive’ and carted off to the hoosegow, aka Bradford Central Police Station.
- But I'm not ashamed to say I'm looking forward to her stretch in the hoosegow - I think it's going to lead to many a good thing.
- Step out of line and you'll land in the hoosegow or, even worse, enrolled in a Federally Mandated recovery program.
- Houseboat doesn't go to the hoosegow, but it does remain on probation for trying to pull the wool over the court's eyes.
- Approximately 3 months ago, Mark suffered his first ever arrest, and he has shed 30 lb whilst in the hoosegow.
- This, along with a $10 million deal cut with Papua New Guinea and a hoosegow built on Christmas Island, came to be known as the Pacific Solution and was the act that finally aroused some Australians to protest their government's policies.
- The Dreadnoks want to spring Torch from the hoosegow, but Cobra commander tells them in no uncertain terms that the Firebat takes priority.
- While in the hoosegow, he earned a college degree and decided that he always wanted to be a writer.
- I'm going to make believe I am acting before an audience and forget that I am doing 10 days in the hoosegow.
- The background to this story is, apparently, that a number of members of the Mahdi Army were arrested on Sunday and tossed in the hoosegow.
- After lunch, visitors stroll through downtown, most paying particular attention to the old Jail Tree: Lacking a proper hoosegow, the town chained bandits to its enormous trunk.
- Selena, mother of two junior high schoolers, has drawn the line against television, and it's landed both her kids in the hoosegow.
- She should be thrown in the hoosegow and made to swallow the key.
- The Twentymans are a trio of hardcore armed robbers with a dozen bank jobs to their credit, currently serving time in a friendly medium-security hoosegow for their latest misdeed.
- Jackson and his men were here to bust Shorty out of the hoosegow.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.