In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(leap)masculine salto a la pata cojamasculine salto con un solo piemasculine brinco de cojito Mexicomasculine saltomasculine brincomasculine saltitoit's only a hop, skip and a jump from here — está a un paso de aquí
- the hop, skip / step and jump — el triple salto
- to catch sb on the hop — pillar a algn desprevenido / descuidado
- to keep sb on the hop — tener a algn muy atareado / ocupado
- Some toads have relatively short hind limbs and move forward by a series of hops, while others actually walk.
- Every now and again a gentle hop or two, perhaps that peculiar walk where the tail becomes a third leg.
- She danced, as if to herself, with lots of hops and fancy footwork.
- Most of the dances include stamps, hops, squats, slides, and hip swivels, reflecting the occasion for which it is intended.
- The single-legged hop and vertical jump tests were performed to assess functional strength.
- On one leg, jump forward for ten hops, minimizing ground contact.
- Particularly noteworthy were the women's parallel hops and shoulder shakes, which sent their braids flying.
- It was a courtship dance, involving a combination of hops and steps.
- The dancers rely on powerful, rather slow, twirling movements with hops.
- On the ground they proceed in frog-like hops, or occasionally walk on all fours.
- Really exaggerate this movement until you can perform it with a slight hop at the start of the turn.
- The verticality of the torsos and a repeated motif of small, close-to-the-body hops appeared to pay tribute to the medieval music and dances that inspired the piece.
- They progress by short runs or a series of hops with pauses and an always alert posture.
- In week three, add the following plyometric drills to the routine: ten forward and backward jumps, then two sets of four hops up onto a two-foot-high box.
- Functional testing was also performed, and this included the single-legged hop and vertical jump tests.
- I came out of work tonight with a kind of a hop and a skip.
- Gliding by each other, they interjected small hops and skips into cross-stepping patterns.
- You might be used to frogs taking long jumps, but cane toads move with short, rapid hops or a running walk instead.
- I added a minor hop and skip to my customary semi-shuffle and waved my stick about a bit.
- With one step and a hop, he leaped towards the flying monster and stabbed his dagger straight right under its jaw.
1.2it's only a short hop from London to Paris — es un vuelo muy corto de Londres a París
- Getting to Okanagan involves a four - to six-hour drive or a short plane hop from Vancouver or Seattle.
- Start early by taking the train to Ardrossan and the short ferry hop to Bute.
- It offers excellent communications and a short sea hop to Sri Lanka.
- Flying from Maine to Arizona in a single hop, the 3,000 mile journey took roughly 6.5 hours.
- The flight was the smoothest hour and a half hop ever, and the landing, everyone commented, was a transparent glide from air to runway.
- It takes about 8 minutes for that trip, so the short, final hop from the Moon to the Earth is trivial by comparison.
- Now it was just a hop on an internal flight from Luxor to Aswan and on to the banks of the Nile and lake Nasser.
- Both are scheduled for the same time and the venues are too distant to make a hop from one to the next without missing out on the key presentations.
- After completing ground training, I was scheduled for my first hop at the flight-instructor-training unit.
- Even the timing of a Nato summit which Bush is attending this weekend in Istanbul, a short plane hop from Baghdad, had been shifted back a few weeks so as to take place two days before the handover.
- This day started off with a typical flight brief for a short one-hour hop.
- We made the trip home in one hop.
- The number of hops on the shortest path between people is sometimes called the graph distance or degree of separation between those people.
- A plane hop or ferry ride from Maui lands you in Lanai.
- They tend to attract people who like the idea of a proper voyage, rather than a series of hops between ports.
- Longer distance communications can be achieved in multiple hops without loss of data rate.
- You see them flying all over the world, mostly on short to medium hops.
- It's a short and pleasant hop through one of Rio's most attractive middle-class neighborhoods.
- For short city hops, tuk-tuks are available all over the country.
- Many iSCSI applications are latency sensitive, so building the network with the fewest number of hops and the shortest possible links is usually a key consideration.
2informal(dance)baile masculinebailongo masculine informal
1(rabbit/frog) brincar(rabbit/frog) saltar(bird) dar saltitos
2(child/person) saltar a la pata coja(child/person) saltar con un solo pie(child/person) brincar de cojito Mexico
3informal(move quickly)I'll hop along to the supermarket to get some bread — voy corriendo / en una escapada al supermercado a comprar pan
- the article hopped (about) from one subject to another — el artículo saltaba de un tema al otro
- hop in, I'll take you to the station — súbete, que te llevo a la estación
- hop in a taxi, it's too far to walk — tómate un taxi, es demasiado lejos para ir a pie
- to hop into bed with anyone — acostarse con cualquiera
- you stay in the car, I'll hop out and get a newspaper — quédate en el coche, (que) yo me bajo un momento a comprar el periódico
- to hop out of bed — bajarse de la cama (de un salto)
- to hop off/on a plane/train/bus — bajarse/tomarse de un avión/tren/autobús
2(jump over)(ditch/stream) saltar(ditch/stream) cruzar de un saltoto hop it — pintarse
1Cooking Botanylúpulo masculinethe flavor of hops — el sabor del lúpulo
- The hop shoot is tender and delicate with a short season until the end of May.
- Brewed since 1900, Bohemia is named in honor of the hop growing and beer brewing region of the Czech Republic.
- Hops are the flower of the hop vine, which is a member of the hemp family.
- The best one, used in Beck's Alcohol-Free, is to brew as normal, allowing the hops, yeast and malts time to impart flavour, and then to remove the alcohol.
- According to German law, beer can only be brewed using barley, malt, hops, yeast and water - no nasty chemicals are allowed.
- Franconian farmers switched to other crops, chiefly clover and hops, hence the irresistible rise of the Franconian brewing industry in this period.
- And we've got wine grapes and hops and asparagus and corn.
- It is registered for use on powdery mildews in pome fruit, stone fruit, citrus fruit, soft fruit, vines, cucurbits, ornamentals, tobacco, hops and some vegetables.
- In the highlands the Amhara grow barley, wheat, hops, and a variety of beans.
- To relieve tension headaches or indigestion, include catnip, hops, or chamomile in your sleep formula.
- This brew, made in Kentucky, includes not only hops, barley and water - but also hemp seed.
- One garden bed features a trio of lattice panels hung with hops vine and a well travelled clematis, plus perennials like rudbeckia, delphinium and ligularia that keep the roots of the clematis shaded.
- Aromatic, smoky, malty notes wrap themselves around the delicate flavours of the hops and the brewing yeasts.
- The re-establishment of several other plant species such as sheep bush and native hops occurs after a wet year.
- Earlier this year CBN imported Copper Crest, which is touted as a traditional beer made from sorghum, maize, hops and caramel with yeast.
- In some instances the industry itself has disappeared: there are no more metropolitan tanneries; British beer is flavoured with Czech hops.
- The resulting beer was that now characteristic of Australia: light in colour and body, but tasting strongly of bitter hops.
- Besides water, beer is made with three basic ingredients: barley, hops and yeast.
- In this Denver garden, the hop vine completely concealed its wire frame in a single summer.
- The hunt for treasure will include a visit to the old rose garden, the hop garden, the old engine pond, the Japanese garden and the new mathematical maze in the woods.
- Wheat, hops and barley were readily accessible.
- An example of this would be a manufacturer acquiring retail outlets or a hop grower beginning to brew his own beer.
- Known by the scientific name Cannabis sativa, marijuana is an annual herb closely related to the hops used in beer brewing.
- That means eliminating impure tastes in the brewing process so the flavour of the hops can emerge untainted.
- The oils that produce the hop flavor and aroma are very volatile and evaporate quickly, so the boiling hops only contribute bitterness to the beer - the flavor and aroma are added later.
- Others include the shoots of both wild and cultivated hops, Humulus lupulus, known as ‘hop tops’.
- Vines of hops covered the plastic on the second story.
- The beer is brewed with ‘only the finest sun-ripened hops, grains and barley.’
- Chamomile, lime flower, valerian, hops or passion flower all have relaxant properties and can be given to calm nerves and relax tense muscles.
- The Green Party wishes the hop industry very well.
- Common menstrual disturbances among female hops-pickers suggest a potential endocrine effect of the hops plant.
- Under this law only drinks which complied with the German Act could be sold as Bier, and this meant that the term could be used only in relation to those drinks which were made from barley, hops, yeast, and water.
- According to Okanagan Springs, the Bavarian Purity Law restricts beer to barley, water, hops and yeast, but in fact, the law permits the use of any type of grain so long as it has been malted.
- Yeast ferments the sugars in the malt to alcohol while the hops provide bitter flavour and aroma.
- First class; the hops skip out the glass, snort up the nose and please the palate with a balance and harmony that would have many believing it had been hand-pulled by a proud publican. -
- Back in August, as the Evening Press reported, Andy had harvested his own crop of hops growing in the beer garden of the Monkgate pub.
- At another, it is the nostalgic looking back to the way things were before they all went wrong, to the old time experiences of hops and hayfields, and walks down the Fulham Palace Road.
- Here, turn left on to SH 60, which passes through orchards of apples, hops and grapes.
- The rock ‘n’ roll record hop with DJ Flashback Billy takes place at the High Royds Sport and Social Club.
- They were every bit as good and enjoyable as they were all those years ago at the rugby hops in The County Hotel and other venues.
- For Ryan, however, the more important component of lindy hop is its roots in black history.
- The band then romp through three road songs that most people would die for to have in their repertoire, each single one would get people leaping about on the dance floor at a college hop.
- This surge in popularity in all forms of dance is equally mirrored in the lindy hop, with many events occurring around the country.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.