In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1caballo (de fuerza) masculinea 90-horsepower engine/car — un motor/coche de 90 caballos (de fuerza)
- Ultralight aviation was pioneered in 1976 by John Moody with a 10 horsepower go-cart-powered engine.
- It was powered by two 220 - horsepower diesel engines driving Jacuzzi high-speed jet pumps.
- For $45,000 you can own a Dodge SRT - 10 dry-wall hauler powered by a 500 horsepower Viper V10 engine.
- The 1350 horsepower engine almost forces me to stand on my brakes.
- Built in 1992, it is also controversial due to its 75,000 horsepower nuclear engine.
- The Workman 3100 has a Kohler 23 - horsepower air-cooled gas engine.
- Retailing at $1,898, it comes equipped with a 20 horsepower twin cylinder engine and is a whiz at chopping dense growth.
- The RV is powered by a Caterpillar 350 - horsepower diesel engine and an Allison transmission.
- The craft is powered by two 440 horsepower, six-cylinder engines backed by two water jets, which move the craft forward by drawing water in the bottom of the boat and pushing it back out at high speeds.
- However, with the 110 horsepower diesel engine it is still fast and refined, and capable of returning over 40 miles per gallon.
- The six-liter, 325 - horsepower turbo diesel engine can muscle you up loose inclines and keep you in the passing lane.
- They are powered by 700 - horsepower, methanol-burning engines and reach speeds of 170 mph.
- Its 1,001 horsepower engine powers it from to 60 mph in less than three seconds, reaching 186 mph in under 14 seconds.
- MFV ‘Carrig Ban’ was a 36 ft fully decked timber vessel built by Hickeys with a 120 horsepower Perkins engine.
- Powering the ‘new Ford Taurus’ is a 2.3 L four-cylinder engine rated at 160 horsepower.
- There are no suspensions for these race vehicles, and engines vary from 5 horsepower to more than 30 hp.
- Rolls Royce has developed a 4,000 horsepower turbo prop engine that may be used to power the Douglas DC 7D long range airliner.
- The car will be powered by a 2.2-liter, turbocharged diesel engine generating 136 horsepower.
- The 85 - horsepower gasoline engine provides most of the power.
- With it's 1200 horsepower diesel engine, the T-98 is as mobile as the M-1, and has much better gas mileage.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.