In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(pipe)manguera femininemanga feminineMotor Vehicles manguito masculinea fire hose — una manguera contra incendios
- Along the way, we passed a fire fighter using a hose to soak smouldering roots with water.
- Control the pests by blasting them from the plants with a strong jet of water from the hose and, if necessary, following up with insecticidal soap.
- Flexible hoses deteriorate over time; wipe them with a dry rag to see if there is an odor of gasoline.
- Mound soil into foot-tall beds, then lay drip tubing or soaker hoses down the center.
- A soaker hose waters the base of every plant, thereby minimizing black spot and mildew problems that often arise from wetting the leaves.
- Firefighters used their hoses to clear oil from the road before it was reopened.
- Than remove the drain hose from the drain line and place it, along with the inlet water hoses into the tube.
- Water and fertilizer are dispersed to the plants via hoses, Y-connections and drip pins.
- Water and air are pumped at high pressure through hoses to a manifold to which the flexible hoses, which lead to the lances, are connected.
- The firefighters played their hoses over the blaze with no real effect, knowing the fire would have to burn itself out.
- Rainwater is far more beneficial for plants than water from your hose.
- At least 75 firefighters were using three hoses, three ground monitors and two aerial monitors at the scene at the height of the blaze.
- Last week, Rous Water banned the use of sprinklers, soaker hoses and fixed hoses.
- As a last touch, I usually turn my water hose to a fine mist and give all my new plants a nice clean shower.
- Many have taken to hiding their garden hoses or to watering plants after dark so that few questions are asked.
- Water left in the hoses can freeze and expand, causing faucets and connecting pipes inside your home to freeze and break.
- Tankers have to use floating hoses to connect with a single buoy mooring, which channel oil through subsea hoses to the pipelines.
- To make the clean up of large pots easier, Mattison has one oversized, deep sink and a faucet with a pullout nozzle and a flexible hose.
- For the moment the vegetables are watered by means of a hose, but a sprinkler system is in the process of being installed, funded by Region 4.
- At Coggeshall fire station, firefighters and their families swapped fire hoses for car wash hoses and brushes for their sponsored car wash.
dated (socks)calcetines masculinemedias feminine Latin Americaa pair of gentlemen's hose — un par de calcetines de caballero
- If so, should you wear hose with them or brave the cold?
- Pale pink toenails were visible through translucent hose.
- Get sexy and lean for night with black fishnet hose as favored by Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent.
- What they thought of a young woman wearing mud splattered boots and hose, her hair plaited like a child's and in sore need of a bath, I did not know.
- Thinking some more, I think you should definitely go without the hose.
- She panted as she struggled out of her heels and hose.
- He was clad in a royal-looking doublet, hose and an over-tunic, which bore a crest.
- Well, one day I decided to wear the hose with a pair slacks to work.
2.2Clothing Theatre History
(tights)calzas femininemalla feminine
- He claims that the pesticide Deosan Deosect was being hosed directly into the salmon pens, a substance which is banned in the marine environment as it is acutely toxic to aquatic life.
- The entire area can be hosed out with the water and dirt draining into a trough behind the rear seats.
- Walls, stalls and cubicles needs to be hosed frequently.
- Mr Armstrong hosed him down with water until firefighters and paramedics arrived.
- Garbage cans should be hosed regularly and sprayed with disinfectant to eliminate odors, as well as emptied often.
- Something else you should add to your list of helpful household hints is to turn the water off while you're not actually hosing the car.
- Prerinse clothing outdoors by spraying or hosing it; or presoak it in a suitable container such as a large bucket or tub; or use the prewash cycle of an automatic washer, with detergent.
- The eco warriors received a frosty reception from staff - one of them hosing the protesters down with cold water.
- Then they made us strip, hosed us down with cold water, and sprayed us with a delousing powder.
- Surf lifesavers removed the 60 centimetre shark by hosing it with fresh water.
- The pavement was hosed down and all of the glue was removed.
- You sit down, stand up or lie on a table as you are hosed with warm sea water in places that help your circulation, or in some cases simply make you giggle.
- Sweep up winter debris, and hose or pressure-wash as necessary.
- A rocket fired from a balcony signalled the fight's end one hour later, after which giddy participants hosed each other clean.
- We removed the doors and the hotplates and everything that would detach, soaked them in acids and then hosed them down.
- All this while shops in the CBD were wasting thousands of litres hosing the footpath.
- When the streets are hosed down and saturated participants have left, normality will resume for another year.
- Construction workers had to be hosed off and treated for breathing problems after a chemical leak.
- The carcasses are then hosed with hot water and sprayed with vinegar.
- She was squatting inside the trailer, which had a slick fiberglass coating so it could be easily hosed out.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.