In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(pipe)manguera femininemanga feminineMotor Vehicles manguito masculinea fire hose — una manguera contra incendios
- Water and fertilizer are dispersed to the plants via hoses, Y-connections and drip pins.
- Rainwater is far more beneficial for plants than water from your hose.
- Tankers have to use floating hoses to connect with a single buoy mooring, which channel oil through subsea hoses to the pipelines.
- Flexible hoses deteriorate over time; wipe them with a dry rag to see if there is an odor of gasoline.
- At least 75 firefighters were using three hoses, three ground monitors and two aerial monitors at the scene at the height of the blaze.
- Firefighters used their hoses to clear oil from the road before it was reopened.
- Last week, Rous Water banned the use of sprinklers, soaker hoses and fixed hoses.
- Many have taken to hiding their garden hoses or to watering plants after dark so that few questions are asked.
- A soaker hose waters the base of every plant, thereby minimizing black spot and mildew problems that often arise from wetting the leaves.
- Mound soil into foot-tall beds, then lay drip tubing or soaker hoses down the center.
- To make the clean up of large pots easier, Mattison has one oversized, deep sink and a faucet with a pullout nozzle and a flexible hose.
- As a last touch, I usually turn my water hose to a fine mist and give all my new plants a nice clean shower.
- The firefighters played their hoses over the blaze with no real effect, knowing the fire would have to burn itself out.
- Than remove the drain hose from the drain line and place it, along with the inlet water hoses into the tube.
- At Coggeshall fire station, firefighters and their families swapped fire hoses for car wash hoses and brushes for their sponsored car wash.
- For the moment the vegetables are watered by means of a hose, but a sprinkler system is in the process of being installed, funded by Region 4.
- Control the pests by blasting them from the plants with a strong jet of water from the hose and, if necessary, following up with insecticidal soap.
- Water left in the hoses can freeze and expand, causing faucets and connecting pipes inside your home to freeze and break.
- Water and air are pumped at high pressure through hoses to a manifold to which the flexible hoses, which lead to the lances, are connected.
- Along the way, we passed a fire fighter using a hose to soak smouldering roots with water.
2.1dated (socks)calcetinesmedias Latin Americaa pair of gentlemen's hose — un par de calcetines de caballero
- Thinking some more, I think you should definitely go without the hose.
- If so, should you wear hose with them or brave the cold?
- Get sexy and lean for night with black fishnet hose as favored by Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent.
- Pale pink toenails were visible through translucent hose.
- Well, one day I decided to wear the hose with a pair slacks to work.
- She panted as she struggled out of her heels and hose.
- He was clad in a royal-looking doublet, hose and an over-tunic, which bore a crest.
- What they thought of a young woman wearing mud splattered boots and hose, her hair plaited like a child's and in sore need of a bath, I did not know.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.