In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There was a taster session of some wine, fruit juice, cakes and hot cross buns.
- The guy on the radio said that the fruit mince pies are gone, replaced immediately by the hot cross buns.
- All the events which years ago a child looked forward to at certain times of the year now take place all year round, eg hot cross buns and Easter eggs on sale at Christmas.
- Attempts to ban hot cross buns may be going a bit far, but they are entirely consistent with the mainstream view that causing offence to other religions and ethnicities is to be avoided at all costs.
- It's Saturday morning and the supermarket is busy, the car park is full and the air smells of hot cross buns.
- Traditionally served on Good Friday or Easter morning, hot cross buns are small and slightly sweet yeast buns with a rich history.
- This includes exotic bread and delectable cakes, as well as tarts and pies, to say nothing of hot cross buns and Easter eggs.
- The people of Kuwait loves the hot cross buns so much that Fafnir's Hot Cross Buns are now authentic Kuwaiti cuisine eaten throughout the land.
- Most shops sell hot cross buns long before Easter, this year a National Bakery chain is selling theirs with chocolate chips in - whatever next!
- Staff from the Evening Press also joined in the fun yesterday and gave away free six-packs of hot cross buns with every sale of the newspaper.
- Afterwards, young people in the congregation were invited to the community centre for Easter-related activities and there were also hot cross buns and refreshments in the Baptist Church.
- The bakery, which has a 400-strong workforce, provides millions of loaves and other baked products, such as hot cross buns, each year.
- According to superstition, hot cross buns and loaves baked on Good Friday never went mouldy, and were sometimes kept as charms from one year to the next.
- As we waited to go out again, we sat in a circle, laughed and ate hot cross buns.
- I suggest using hot cross buns to make the most delicious bread-and-butter pudding.
- Clues to prizes will be placed around the High Street church and there will also be hot cross buns and Easter eggs on offer.
- Churches Together in Otley will also be handing out 300 hot cross buns in the Market Place on Easter Saturday, April 10, from 10 am to 11 am.
- I'm no stick-in-the-mud, but I like my Easter Eggs chocolate and my hot cross buns fruit-filled and that's that.
- The smell and taste of the hot cross buns, traditional Easter fare, were connected forever with the sensation of attending those endless Holy Week ceremonies.
- Youngsters arrived dressed in their home-made creations for a day of festive fun featuring dancing and hot cross buns.
bollo de pasas marcado con una cruz, que tradicionalmente se come el Viernes Santo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.