In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(hunting dog)perro de caza masculinesabueso masculinea pack of hounds — una jauría
- to ride to / follow the hounds — cazar con jauría
- After 1pm a range of events will take place at the Langton Wold Gallops including a parade of hunting hounds, a celebrity pony Grand National and dressage display.
- The hunting with hounds ban came into force on Friday and at the weekend four Hampshire hunts turned out - all passed off relatively peacefully despite a kill…
- Leontius bred hounds of great size and ferocity.
- Exemptions to the hunting ban include hunting an artificial scent trail, exercising hounds, and using no more than two dogs to flush a wild animal to be shot or killed by a bird of prey.
- The Dachshund was bred as a badger hound or hunting dog and is known to have existed from the oldest breeds of German hunting dogs such as the Bibarhund.
- The dog hound, bred by Jimmy Glaister out of West Vale Haze by Pinfold Rock, put in some good performances only to beaten on the run to the line.
- In Drag Hunting, a pack of hounds follows a scent laid by a human rather than pursuing a live quarry.
- I also know that I have never found any evidence to demonstrate that hunting with hounds is an effective way of getting rid of foxes, a pest that was bred in large numbers in order to sustain fox-hunting.
- What struck me was the genuine enjoyment of the day, the health of the hounds (hunting hounds are starved before chasing a fox, and get badly injured) and the lack of cruelty involved.
- The final cluster includes scent hounds, terriers, spaniels, and retrievers.
- The hounds pick up the scent, and their prey is on the run, over open ground, across field, ditch and hedge, until cornered, exhausted, he stands his ground for the final, bloody, struggle.
- Billy thinks that maybe on moonlit nights, Old Dan will be able to hear the baying of hunting hounds.
- He was judged against a flat-coated retriever, a giant schnauzer, an Old English sheepdog, a wire fox terrier, a saluki hound and Pekingese toy dog.
- The pack of harrier hounds - a smaller breed of dog than foxhounds, but larger than beagles - is kept at kennels near Gisburn.
- Topics under discussion ranged from hunting hounds on the track, through to the future of the East Coast Main Line and problems at Leeds Station.
- For thousands of years nomadic tribes of the Middle East have bred a hunting hound called the saluki.
- Why can't they simply switch to drag hunting, when the hounds follow a scent which has been laid down in advance, and which no one - certainly not the new legislation - seeks to ban?
- Before the runner sets off, he is put in an enclosed space with the hounds that then track his scent.
- It will strike many as absurd that the Government is this week holding an unprecedented three-day hearing at Westminster into whether or not hunting foxes with hounds is necessary or cruel.
- Billy's dogs become known as the best hunting hounds in the Ozarks.
- Mind you, to be called ‘unpatriotic’ and an ‘anti-Semite’ by this shameless publicity hound has to be a compliment.
- There is not enough general coverage for the average player but too much old, out-of-date material to satisfy the very strong theory hound.
- It can backfire a little, particularly if you are a hound for constructive criticism.
- This marks an interesting divide because women - especially California women - have certainly been willing and eager to vote for that other rapacious hound.
- But I'm not a huge quality hound anyway, as long as it's in focus and I can hear it, I'm usually happy enough as long as the movie is good.
- Back in 1904, immigrant water baron William Mulholland arrived here with Frederick Eaton, the retired L.A. mayor and water hound.
- Brennon is the real horror hound of the writing team responsible for this version of the film.
- Is this old Hollywood hound learning new tricks?
- This book is a great read for any music lover, vinyl hound or not.
- We had 10 years to get his measure, and we got it well enough: he is a publicity hound, an arch opportunist, a cold-eyed political calculator - a hard man, it has to be said, to like, if not to respect.
- Thanks to reader GDV, who pointed out the misattributed quote, and also to thread hound Mork, who noticed the same thing and laid out the facts.
- Underneath, his light-blue oxford was soaked, proving that the Northwest Passage could still make a sea hound sweat.
- I think our police chief is a media-savvy publicity hound, overly obsessed with his own public image and the image of his force.
- At New York University and Columbia, Greenspan honed his economics skills and earned a reputation as a tireless data hound.
- The brown haired officer was clearly enjoying her cup, savoring it like a true coffee hound.
- Her quietness, simplicity and complete disregard for the publicity hounds of the West puzzled reporters - but won her a very deep respect.
- When an insane publicity hound like this candidate finishes first in a congressional primary, the Republican Party has embarrassed itself.
- In between them, though, I am an admitted and voracious sex hound, not to mention a source of amazement to my friends.
- When Paramount's lawyer charged that the author was a publicity hound, Dreiser jumped to his feet and shouted, ‘That's a lie!’
- So there goes the number one glory hound of the Queensland Government!
- While Margolese is not an obvious high-glam media hound, he is definitely not a low-road radio guy either.
- Not surprisingly, this gruesome war against the darkest recesses of the human spirit has left him a battered old hound, riddled with scars and guilt.
- I was bemoaning the lack of camera while techno hound Bill got busy with his new cell phone.
2humorous(any dog)chucho masculine informalpichicho masculine River Plate informal
1acosarhe is being hounded by the press — está siendo perseguido y acosado por la prensa
- he was hounded from the city — lo persiguieron hasta hacerlo abandonar la ciudad
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.