In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1arresto domiciliario masculineto be under house arrest — encontrarse bajo arresto domiciliario
- He was held in custody for almost four months and then released under house arrest.
- On a visit to England for medical treatment in 1998, he was arrested and put under house arrest.
- Stewart has been confined to house arrest for nearly six months for lying about a stock sale.
- The two musicians spent two months in prison, followed by four months of house arrest.
- She was held first in a prison, then transferred to house arrest in September last year.
- If she does serve prison and then has five months of house arrest, is she allowed to run her company then?
- Even while on house arrest he has been unable to ensure that he is available for them.
- The primary distinction to be made is between terms of house arrest and incarceration.
- Instead, he wants to be held under house arrest, separated from other prisoners.
- Initially I thought they should just be rounded up and imprisoned or perhaps just be placed under house arrest.
- He was sentenced to house arrest and many of his followers were executed and imprisoned.
- Mr Clarke has responded by taking powers to keep all terrorist suspects under house arrest outside prison.
- The effect of the original bill would also have been to allow house arrest and detention without trial.
- How many more of your leaders are still either in jail or under house arrest?
- After the decision, the extradition case continued while Pinochet remained under house arrest.
- She was released, of course, two weeks ago from prison but has five months of house arrest yet to go.
- After being held under house arrest to international uproar, he was released to join the team in Guadalajara.
- Mary was then a prisoner in England, under house arrest at Sheffield.
- Bradford was sent to the Tower and Rogers was confined under house arrest.
- Although sentenced to serve time in jail, Schnell was released on house arrest after several days.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.