In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1arresto domiciliario masculineto be under house arrest — encontrarse bajo arresto domiciliario
- If she does serve prison and then has five months of house arrest, is she allowed to run her company then?
- After being held under house arrest to international uproar, he was released to join the team in Guadalajara.
- Mr Clarke has responded by taking powers to keep all terrorist suspects under house arrest outside prison.
- Bradford was sent to the Tower and Rogers was confined under house arrest.
- She was released, of course, two weeks ago from prison but has five months of house arrest yet to go.
- The two musicians spent two months in prison, followed by four months of house arrest.
- Mary was then a prisoner in England, under house arrest at Sheffield.
- She was held first in a prison, then transferred to house arrest in September last year.
- He was sentenced to house arrest and many of his followers were executed and imprisoned.
- Initially I thought they should just be rounded up and imprisoned or perhaps just be placed under house arrest.
- The primary distinction to be made is between terms of house arrest and incarceration.
- Even while on house arrest he has been unable to ensure that he is available for them.
- Stewart has been confined to house arrest for nearly six months for lying about a stock sale.
- How many more of your leaders are still either in jail or under house arrest?
- After the decision, the extradition case continued while Pinochet remained under house arrest.
- Instead, he wants to be held under house arrest, separated from other prisoners.
- On a visit to England for medical treatment in 1998, he was arrested and put under house arrest.
- The effect of the original bill would also have been to allow house arrest and detention without trial.
- Although sentenced to serve time in jail, Schnell was released on house arrest after several days.
- He was held in custody for almost four months and then released under house arrest.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.