In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1luces de la sala feminine
- Angelique did the usual thing, where she walks off stage, but the house lights don't come up, nor does the band even pretend that they aren't coming back.
- Only during the finale, when the house lights were brought up, were the quotation marks removed from La Sonnambula.
- The house lights dimmed then, and the stage lights kicked on - temporarily blinding me.
- Then darkness is exchanged for subtle house lights.
- During productions the house lights would remain on, allowing audience members to be aware of each other as well as the dramatic action.
- In true street-performer style, several of the performers brought up the house lights to pluck audience members onstage to be humiliated.
- And not only because the lighting designer has turned the house lights down and is playing with the spotlights, making the interview feel staged.
- When the scenes were reached, the house lights were turned up and the situation was explained to the public.
- Weirdly as I took my bow the house lights (the lights in the auditorium) came up.
- The problem is that this bring-your-own venue presentation leaves no room for dramatic nuance, stranding the actors to ham their way through it with the house lights up.
- The first-night audience kept applauding after the house lights came up, and there can be few greater compliments.
- His defences were cast aside, the house lights were up and they could see each other, them and him.
- The house lights go up and a powerful light is thrown on the audience.
- The impression is one of a long daily process that begins months before rehearsal and extends right up to the moment the house lights dim.
- The curtain opened, the house lights found her and had the band not already begun playing then the entire audience would have heard the sounds of our hearts breaking.
- Some appreciative audience members were on their feet applauding even before the house lights came up for the curtain call.
- At approximately 10.45 pm, the house lights dim, the searchlights start to sweep the audience and bingo!
- Jack heard the announcement, and saw the house lights come up from beneath the front curtain.
- The show is performed with house lights up and requires tons of audience participation.
- Both men leaned forward as the house lights dimmed, and a new set of lights, previously unnoticed, came alive, all around them.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.