In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The oldest recorded Old World sparrow was a house sparrow that lived to be 13 years and 4 months in the wild.
- That's counting the birds like starlings, rock doves and house sparrows, introduced species most birders don't even count!
- The usual birds of winter were out there - chickadees, cardinals, blue jays, doves, starlings, mockingbirds, house sparrows, white-throats, mallards, and black ducks - but nothing remarkable.
- The house sparrow was introduced to multiple locations in North America from Europe in the 1850s.
- At this site, house sparrows often nest close to available food sources.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.