In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In the mornings we were woken up at 5: 30 by our housefather turning our lights on and off.
- After working as a housefather, Porteous became health and safety officer at the school and stayed in the post until he retired four years ago.
- If, now, the housefather should say, ‘On Friday we are going to eat meat,’ this would be a word common to everybody in the house.
- So I asked his housefather if it was okay for Theo to come.
- In the home the functions of the priesthood are discharged through the housefather and, under circumstances, through the housemother.
- And the grey doctors bundled each newborn into the standard, blue-and-pink starred receiving blanket, for distribution to other, anonymous, housemothers and housefathers in the community.
- He has even started calling Jennifer and me ` Mom and Dad’ on occasion,’ notes proud housefather Bob.
- I lived in Australian ashrams and found them to be full of power-crazed micro-manager housemothers and housefathers who used double standards in how they applied the rules to different ashram residents.
- To the best of our knowledge, our rights as housefathers have never been encroached upon.
- The new housefather took an interest in me as an individual human being as distinct from viewing me as an anonymous inmate of an institution.
- They would have to pay for a housefather to live here and, on top of that, utilities.
- At the beginning of the second year, Brother Bergson asked a young alumnus to be the housefather for the year.
supervisor de una residencia de delincuentes juveniles, huérfanos etc
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.