In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1fiesta de inauguración de una casa
- An old friend who had purchased a small townhouse recently decided that he was now settled enough to hold a house-warming party and had invited my wife and myself.
- And yet, what do people give me as house-warming gifts?
- How long the dream castle will last I don't know - - the house-warming party will have to be quick.
- So when is this house-warming party going to be?
- These gardening machineries could serve well as wedding present or a house-warming gift for a gardening enthusiast.
- But should they get the house, they will be faced with one enormous problem - they have promised every one who votes for them that they will be having a house-warming party.
- One neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: ‘We had a house-warming party and he came along, we always got a Christmas card from him.’
- We make the same mistakes when it comes to wedding gifts, birthday presents, anniversaries, house-warming gifts etc.
- Well, hey, once you're done moving everything in maybe we should have a house-warming party for you or something.
- And next time you're invited to a house-warming party, make sure to wear your tuxedo or sequined dress and look for a green baize table in the living room.
- Then we drive off to a friend's house-warming party.
- He had planned to throw a huge house-warming party for locals and Hollywood stars when the house was completed.
- He gave me a gorgeous, black lacquer grand piano as a house-warming gift and for my wedding day he gave me a beautiful portrait of Billie Holiday.
- You just don't go to a house-warming party - however improvised - empty-handed, so we decided to prepare a few nibbles to accompany the bottle of champagne we knew they'd open.
- Last night I went to a house-warming party in Newham, just down the road from Upton Park.
- Garden plants also make for much-appreciated house-warming gifts.
- A house-warming gift voucher bought me two garden chairs for the kitchen until the proper ones arrive.
- We wanted to host a barbeque at the end of June, a late house-warming sort of thing.
- But a house-warming is just a house-warming, however good.
- If either stumps up the cash, there could be the house-warming party of the decade.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.