In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- No Hawaiian hulas or Tahitian chants here, though traditional cultural elements and echoes of local folk styles do inform these supremely mellow numbers.
- You'll learn to strum the ukulele, dance a hula, and weave a bracelet of lauhala.
- Master teacher Johnny Lum Ho says, ‘At this level, the hula has to be exciting.’
- Singing, drumming, and the hula dance are sacred forms of worship and remain integral to the daily life of some native Hawaiians.
- A brief featurette that looks at animating the hula dancing, an important part of Hawaiian culture.
- At Waimea the women danced a hula, which the sailors found quite lascivious.
- A special CD and a four-hour hula extravaganza held this month will benefit the party's activities.
- While I was researching a short story, I gradually fell in love with the hula (dancing).
- We dragged all our instruments and equipment off, while a hula dancing first grader walked on.
- Some of these dance forms, such as flamenco and hula are almost as known and loved by local audiences as are the Western dances of ballet and tap.
- Learning hula steps and motions and dancing every day is a great way to keep a body flexible while enjoying Hawaiian music.
- Many of today's performers have had more formal dance training than their predecessors, embellishing the old bump-and-grind with samba, tap, belly dancing, jazz, hula, even capoeira.
- Trivialized for decades by mass-market tourism, Hawaiian culture - from classic hula dancing to outrigger canoe racing - is being embraced enthusiastically.
- Join in the revelry with the six-man entertainment group as they perform hula dances to the tune of Hawaiian guitars and songs.
- The band's program, which also included hula dances, was typical of the entertainment of the day.
- They used to say that every nice girl should be able to dance hula.
- No way was Clara getting to that beacon, I don't care if she danced the hula all the way!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.