In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1escudo humano masculine
- The army systematically used Palestinian civilians as human shields.
- I also have read that human shields might be deploying at water facilities.
- Iraq largely used voluntary human shields to immunize targets that were part of its infrastructure.
- The British stories that civilians were forced to take up arms by the militia and were used by the militia as human shields were also lies.
- She also denied that human shields were fleeing the country as the likelihood of war increased.
- Instead, there are hundreds of soldiers dug in and on patrol forming a lethal human shield around the base.
- He sat up a wee bit straighter and allowed more of his body to cover her as a human shield if someone did indeed attack.
- Chechen rebels used ethnic Russian civilians as human shields during the brutal war in Chechnya.
- They knew that it would take more than a few hundred Western human shields to stop a war.
- They fight out of uniform, use human shields and routinely launch attacks against civilians.
- Some Canadians already have left for Iraq to serve as human shields against bomb attacks on Baghdad.
- However, if such are killed in crossfire or if used as human shields, they become collateral damage.
- This was so the British could use the people living in them as human shields from mortar attack.
- Stories of using civilians as human shields, and executing prisoners of war, leaves one speechless.
- I actually don't think that voluntary human shields raise any war crimes by any side.
- There are also reports that civilians are being conscripted to fight or be human shields.
- They were treated as a human shield in case of an attack.
- The Germans often advanced against the insurgents with civilians strapped to the front of their armoured vehicles as human shields.
- Rebels in Nigeria have kidnapped nine foreign oil workers, including a Briton, and threatened to use them as human shields for attacks on the oil industry.
- However, when the human shields faced live ammunition their priorities changed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.