In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1escudo humano masculine
- Some Canadians already have left for Iraq to serve as human shields against bomb attacks on Baghdad.
- Instead, there are hundreds of soldiers dug in and on patrol forming a lethal human shield around the base.
- Chechen rebels used ethnic Russian civilians as human shields during the brutal war in Chechnya.
- Iraq largely used voluntary human shields to immunize targets that were part of its infrastructure.
- I actually don't think that voluntary human shields raise any war crimes by any side.
- They fight out of uniform, use human shields and routinely launch attacks against civilians.
- Rebels in Nigeria have kidnapped nine foreign oil workers, including a Briton, and threatened to use them as human shields for attacks on the oil industry.
- However, when the human shields faced live ammunition their priorities changed.
- This was so the British could use the people living in them as human shields from mortar attack.
- The Germans often advanced against the insurgents with civilians strapped to the front of their armoured vehicles as human shields.
- Stories of using civilians as human shields, and executing prisoners of war, leaves one speechless.
- I also have read that human shields might be deploying at water facilities.
- They knew that it would take more than a few hundred Western human shields to stop a war.
- He sat up a wee bit straighter and allowed more of his body to cover her as a human shield if someone did indeed attack.
- They were treated as a human shield in case of an attack.
- The British stories that civilians were forced to take up arms by the militia and were used by the militia as human shields were also lies.
- There are also reports that civilians are being conscripted to fight or be human shields.
- However, if such are killed in crossfire or if used as human shields, they become collateral damage.
- The army systematically used Palestinian civilians as human shields.
- She also denied that human shields were fleeing the country as the likelihood of war increased.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.