In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- You'd seen good marriages and bad marriages, but yours wasn't going to be one of those humdrum ones, or tedious ones, or ‘bad’ ones.
- The walk was long and rather dull because it was nothing but a dull narrow hall, serving its humdrum purpose splendidly.
- He could not get up everyday and face the daily humdrum life of a high school English teacher.
- It gives such a poignancy to my usually humdrum life.
- His poetry expresses a discontent with orderly lives and humdrum routine, praising spontaneity and emotion.
- Having said that, however, there is something in the humdrum routine of everyday life in different cold and gray places around the world that fascinates me.
- While it lasts it prevents us from making shoes, writing books, from engaging in either the humdrum routine of life or in making crucial decisions.
- But even before they did, we felt it: the humdrum monotony of the one-day game has grated for a while now.
- I used to feel almost trapped by the normal, everyday, humdrum life.
- We all know how easily innocence is lost, how simple it is to thoughtlessly embrace cynicism and the humdrum monotony of what we call everyday life.
- Once the honeymoon's over and you settle into the humdrum pattern of everyday life, it's easy to get bored.
- This was inevitably followed by a return to the humdrum reality of everyday life.
- It happened that way every day - get up, go to work, come back, sleep - and sometimes she wished something would happen to break the humdrum routine.
- It would be nice to go beyond the usual everyday humdrum routine, I should think.
- She'd gone about her morning with its usual humdrum routine.
- What were you reading when I came to take you away from your usually boring, humdrum life for a time?
- But when you actually do so, you suddenly become aware of how many sights and sounds you just take for granted and ignore in the course of everyday humdrum life.
- Are you stuck in a rut, longing to be creative but unable to break free from the humdrum routine of your daily job?
- I find a lot of the people I see everyday very humdrum and old beyond their years.
- Just a humdrum boring evening, she thought and sighed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.