In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The ones who were subjected to insults and humiliations hung their heads down in shame.
- That was only one of the humiliations he had to endure.
- Anything less than three years would seem a disappointment, and to go now would be a humiliation.
- Now it seems Scotland is determined not to endure such humiliation again.
- He said she had brought shame and humiliation on herself and had besmirched her good name.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.