In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
noun & transitive verb
- To humour him I used that term throughout the interview.
- They have the characteristics of honesty and humour and they speak to audiences at their level, not from on high.
- His manner was friendly, and I decided to humour him.
- They are full of raw Taiwanese humor and literary surprises.
- If a speaker does use humor in a speech, make certain the story, anecdote or joke is surefire funny with all listeners.
- I assume you are referring to our inclusion of humor and attempted humor in our public speeches.
- Fisher himself is well equipped with sharp observational humour and precision comic timing.
- What made all this watchable, indeed endearing, was a constant thread of humour and the quality of the writing and acting.
- We both have a good sense of humour and we try to find humour in everything so I guess that comes out in the music.
- His was a speech laced with much humour and more than a little self-deprecation.
- Not that I don't like talking to you, but I always feel like you're just humoring me when you listen to me rave about this show or that show.
- I know this is an old chestnut, written by loads of people ad infinitum but for now humour me.
- The women looked at the photograph, but you could see they were just humouring him.
- I humoured him, not attempting to put his illusions straight.
- Well, I'm trying to justify the money we spent tonight, so humor me.
- I'll just humour him for the 7 days and then we can get back to normal!
- I feel like I'm the only girl on the boy's team and they're humouring me.
- You're right,’ she said, humoring him with an indulgent smile.
- Gone were the days of situational comedy when humour formed an integral part of the plot of the movie.
- I had always figured he humored me while I chattered away so he could take some more pictures.
- The result is a record with remarkable perspective, full of honesty, humor and beauty.
- Full of its characteristic humour and human drama, the series takes the gang from Middlesbrough to Arizona.
- She humored me and encouraged me nonstop, and I shall always be indebted to her.
- You never quite get the feeling they're interested, they always seem to be doing it to humour you.
- However, it's possible they were just humoring me.
- I've met one other person in my life who has related to this, although actually with hindsight I think she might just have been humouring me.
- If a comic can find humour in broken limbs, then why not in mental illness, too?
- But we humoured him, since he spoke our sort of language.
- They remain a benchmark of quality for British humour.
- When I get upset, people humor me and tell me it's okay - that I'll get over it.
- More recently, there has been interest in comics, humour, and folktales.
- ‘Well, that's always good to hear,’ the nurse said, humoring me.
- A jovial person, his speeches are peppered with humour.
- ‘We put out a variety of quality humor on a consistent basis,’ he said.
- Of all the recent attempts to tread this fine line between quality and humor, he does it better than almost anyone.
- One of her enduring contributions may be to bring humor to this tight-lipped literature.
- I can't really understand the distinct aversion felt by the three persons who humored me by coming along.
- He doesn't need notes because he knows what he's talking about, and he can invest his speech with humor on the spot.
- Those movies were exciting, full of humour, suspense and great characters - everything this film lacks.
- But the old man seemed to have made up his mind, and so, to humor him, he did as he wished.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.