In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Sportcaza femininecacería feminine(boots) de cazahunting knife — navaja feminine
- the hunting season — la temporada de caza
- The country was very rich in game before widespread hunting began.
- Fishing and game hunting are different though, it's done for food and you generally don't tend to chase the animal over miles of countryside.
- The money which would need to go into policing a ban on hunting would be immense.
- In most other parts of Europe this type of hunting has been banned, I just can't understand it!
- Game hunting in South Africa has flourished into a multi-million-rand industry and the Eastern Cape has surpassed all the other provinces in its success.
- Wild hunting, fishing, and wood cutting are not allowed.
- But anti-hunt protesters say her story does not alter the fact that hunting is cruel to animals.
- With wild lands cleared for agriculture and game hunting on the rise, populations of cougars and other large predators took heavy hits.
- This organisation was set up to defend and promote the use of terrier dogs in the hunting of wild animals.
- Big game hunting has long been a controversial topic.
- The Inuit rely heavily on subsistence hunting of walruses, whales, seals, and other animals near the top of the food chain.
- As access to once remote forests grows, so does the risk of greater ‘bush meat’ hunting, or the hunting of wild animals for food.
- Thus the kind of domination represented by big game hunting had altered significantly.
- For some Americans who grew up with different cultural influences or who live in parts of the country where hunting is popular, game birds are familiar fare.
- Both were situated by the village's port, where the activities related to whale hunting had been pursued for almost a century.
- She was the goddess of hunting, wild animals, childbirth, nature, and the harvest.
- Bulgaria's resources in the field of game farms and hunting are really great.
- China does not allow hunting of these animals in the wild.
- He said that a recent opinion poll suggested that 80 per cent of the British public believe that hunting wild mammals with dogs is cruel.
- Advocates for banning foxhunting in England argue that hunting and killing animals with packs of dogs is cruel and unnecessary.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.